ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  Flap Zappa on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 pm

If you use the ITV player to catch up with ITV programs and cannot stand the endless adverts which you are forced to watch then no doubt you have adblock or something similar installed. Well today whilst watching something a notice came up saying that ITV will block people using ad blocking software from watching programs and using the service. they have not started blocking yet, although the notice stays up for 30 seconds or so before the program starts and appears during each add break as well.


It comes up on firefox so far and IE as well. However a way round it that still works is to use the STV player and google chrome with ad block installed, making sure when you use it for the first time that you put in a scottish postcode, G12 0XP is in glasgow if you don't want to search one out yourself.
That may also work with firefox, but unfortunately I put in an english postcode and you only get one shot and I cannot find where it has stored that information to remove it. If any one has a clue then please let me know.


this no doubt will only be a temporary fix but I am sure the ad blockers will work a way around it in time.
I just hope channel 4 and 5 do not start doing this as well as being forced to sit through numerous adds before and during the shows is very tedious. It cuts out at least 8 minutes for a 30 minute show.






_______________________________________________________________________
Socialists never tire of spending other peoples money

To the twittersphere
if you wish to comment on this or any other thread then sign up and have your say in more than 140 characters. All political persuasions welcome

The Artist Formally Known As D555 - - Follow on twitter: @in_a_flap              
avatar
Flap Zappa
...........
...........

Posts : 37205
Location : village of the sun

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  gerber on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Flap Gallagher wrote:If you use the ITV player to catch up with ITV programs and cannot stand the endless adverts which you are forced to watch then no doubt you have adblock or something similar installed. Well today whilst watching something a notice came up saying that ITV will block people using ad blocking software from watching programs and using the service. they have not started blocking yet, although the notice stays up for 30 seconds or so before the program starts and appears during each add break as well.


It comes up on firefox so far and IE as well. However a way round it that still works is to use the STV player and google chrome with ad block installed, making sure when you use it for the first time that you put in a scottish postcode, G12 0XP is in glasgow if you don't want to search one out yourself.
That may also work with firefox, but unfortunately I put in an english postcode and you only get one shot and I cannot find where it has stored that information to remove it. If any one has a clue then please let me know.


this no doubt will only be a temporary fix but I am sure the ad blockers will work a way around it in time.
I just hope channel 4 and 5 do not start doing this as well as being forced to sit through numerous adds before and during the shows is very tedious. It cuts out at least 8 minutes for a 30 minute show.





 I always record them as on Sky so I can fast forward and miss them all.
avatar
gerber
.........
.........

Posts : 8931
Location : Not there

Back to top Go down

Re: ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  feelthelove on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:22 pm

@gerber wrote: I always record them as on Sky so I can fast forward and miss them all.
Yes, I'm with you on that one Gorgeous Gerber 
avatar
feelthelove
......
......

Posts : 3537

Back to top Go down

Re: ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  Flap Zappa on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 pm

@gerber wrote:
Flap Gallagher wrote:If you use the ITV player to catch up with ITV programs and cannot stand the endless adverts which you are forced to watch then no doubt you have adblock or something similar installed. Well today whilst watching something a notice came up saying that ITV will block people using ad blocking software from watching programs and using the service. they have not started blocking yet, although the notice stays up for 30 seconds or so before the program starts and appears during each add break as well.


It comes up on firefox so far and IE as well. However a way round it that still works is to use the STV player and google chrome with ad block installed, making sure when you use it for the first time that you put in a scottish postcode, G12 0XP is in glasgow if you don't want to search one out yourself.
That may also work with firefox, but unfortunately I put in an english postcode and you only get one shot and I cannot find where it has stored that information to remove it. If any one has a clue then please let me know.


this no doubt will only be a temporary fix but I am sure the ad blockers will work a way around it in time.
I just hope channel 4 and 5 do not start doing this as well as being forced to sit through numerous adds before and during the shows is very tedious. It cuts out at least 8 minutes for a 30 minute show.





 I always record them as on Sky so I can fast forward and miss them all.
yes I always used to record the comercial channels and watch later, however up until now you could get away with no ads on itv player.
you cannot fast forward those ads.

_______________________________________________________________________
Socialists never tire of spending other peoples money

To the twittersphere
if you wish to comment on this or any other thread then sign up and have your say in more than 140 characters. All political persuasions welcome

The Artist Formally Known As D555 - - Follow on twitter: @in_a_flap              
avatar
Flap Zappa
...........
...........

Posts : 37205
Location : village of the sun

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  Flap Zappa on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 pm

I can confirm that the stv iplayer still works with adblock, so no ads

http://player.stv.tv/


_______________________________________________________________________
Socialists never tire of spending other peoples money

To the twittersphere
if you wish to comment on this or any other thread then sign up and have your say in more than 140 characters. All political persuasions welcome

The Artist Formally Known As D555 - - Follow on twitter: @in_a_flap              
avatar
Flap Zappa
...........
...........

Posts : 37205
Location : village of the sun

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: ITV to ban viewers from using ad blocking software

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum