IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shined

5 posters

Go down

Shined Empty Shined

Post  wyatt1 Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm

The use of "Shined"  instead of "Shone" gets on my goat (not Scrat's goat  Twisted Evil ) 

It might be correct nowadays but I still think it shows a lack of understanding of the use of the English Language ,  it grates on my nerves and spoils the rest of the story.
No surprising really given the state of 'edjucashion' for the last few decades.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Shined Empty Re: Shined

Post  Flix Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:30 pm

While I realise language evolves and not always for the better I can only agree with you, and the list goes on of cringe worthy spellings and pronounciations as well. A newsreader actually said 'knave' when trying to pronounce the word 'naive', when I think back about how the old - maybe stuffed shirt sounding - announcers and newsreaders did their immaculate pronounciations, I could cry with nostalgia, being an old fogey.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Flix wrote:While I realise language evolves and not always for the better I can only agree with you, and the list goes on of cringe worthy spellings and pronounciations as well. A newsreader actually said 'knave' when trying to pronounce the word 'naive', when I think back about how the old - maybe stuffed shirt sounding  - announcers and newsreaders did their immaculate pronounciations, I could cry with nostalgia, being an old fogey.
Agreed,  and the spelling in some News Stories is utterly appalling. My old teachers would have bounced a blackboard duster (wooden backed) off their heads.

They can't tell the difference between "to"  and "too" also the use of " off of" wtf does that mean.

Us old fogeys must stick together.   wink
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 pm

There is a news reporter, can't remember if its the BBC or not, with a regional accent, nothing terrible about that unless you can't understand them, who insists on reporting everything with a sort of comedic delivery and makes 'funny faces' when presenting anything less than an apocalypse, I'm afraid I find her utterly annoying.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Flix wrote:There is a news reporter, can't remember if its the BBC or not, with a regional accent, nothing terrible about that unless you can't understand them, who insists on reporting everything with a sort of comedic delivery and makes 'funny faces' when presenting anything less than an apocalypse, I'm afraid I find her utterly annoying.
The old wireless with  "The 9 O'Clock News" and "The Goon Show" on bbc and "Dan Dare" and " The Black Museum " on Radio Luxembourg
Those were the days !   Wow
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Great days, I remember trying to listen to Luxembourg, the reception wasn't great, and the first Radio One broadcast was fantastic, in fact Radio One was incredible for a good many years, all sorts of popular music being played, can't abide it now, in fact its hard to find a station that is ok, there is one which used to play music from the 50's to the present day, that was good can't find it these days. Some of my favourites as a child were Children's Favourites, Family Favourites and Forces Favourites on Saturday and Sunday mornings with the messages for family and friends. We didn't have a tv until I was eight so listening to the wireless with the family was really enjoyable, I'm really showing my age now.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 am

Flix wrote:Great days, I remember trying to listen to Luxembourg, the reception wasn't great, and the first Radio One broadcast was fantastic, in fact Radio One was incredible for a good many years, all sorts of popular music being played, can't abide it now, in fact its hard to find a station that is ok, there is one which used to play music from the 50's to the present day, that was good can't find it these days. Some of my favourites as a child were Children's Favourites, Family Favourites and Forces Favourites on Saturday and Sunday mornings with the messages for family and friends. We didn't have a tv until I was eight so listening to the wireless with the family was really enjoyable, I'm really showing my age now.
 You are only as old as you feel    Chill Out    woohoo 

Yes Forces Favourites was good.

I remember some of this lot on the Light Programme.

Beyond our Ken
Archie's The Boy
Arthur Haynes Show, The
Educating Archie
Hancock's Half Hour
Life With The Lyons
Likely Lads, The
Marriage Lines
Meet The Huggetts
Men From The Ministry, The
Navy Lark, The
Paradise Street
Round The Horne
Show Goes On, The
Son Of Mother Goose
TV Lark, The
Two's A Crowd
Up The Pole
The Clithero Kid   
 etc

They were a lot funnier than  most of today's obscene rubbish   Thumbs up 

It all seemed more real when using your own imagination.   Wow 

(PS:   head bang 
people using "Loose" instead of "Lose"

If you let your dog 'Loose'  you might 'Lose' it,
if you 'Lose' it  you won't be able to let it 'Loose'. DOH )

Good, I feel a lot better for that, !!    Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am

I remember song or something,the first line being "much binding in the marsh" any one remember it?
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 am

nicko wrote:I remember song or something,the first line being "much binding in the marsh" any one remember it?
Kenneth Horne, comedy  like Beyond our Ken and Round the Horne.

Hi Nicko    Thumbs up
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post  nicko Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 pm

hello wyatt/alla,   had a girl once who lived in Morton-in-the marsh,wonder if that is by Much Binding?
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Oh I remember most of those. One thing was everyone could sit and listen and you either got it and made of it what you will or it simply went over your head. I don't find much of the 'comedy' these days very funny all the swearing and sexual references just aren't funny. I watched a Keith Lemon show and to be honest I felt sorry for him and anyone watching it - what a sad waste of time and energy.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Flix wrote:Oh I remember most of those. One thing was everyone could sit and listen and you either got it and made of it what you will or it simply went over your head. I don't find much of the 'comedy' these days very funny all the swearing and sexual references just aren't funny. I watched a Keith Lemon show and to be honest I felt sorry for him and anyone watching it - what a sad waste of time and energy.
"Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em"  on telly,  used to have me in stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb8L7znyzdI
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:22 pm

wyatt1 wrote:
"Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em"  on telly,  used to have me in stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb8L7znyzdI
Also  It Aint Half Hot Mum,  specially the 'Char Wallah'  

The stupid sods at the BBC reckon it is too un-PC to be shown now. They need a PC shoved right up their Kyber, preferably sideways.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 pm

They don't understand that the brunt of the jokes in It ain't alf hot, was the pompous colonialist attitude and stuffed shirt establishment, much like Alf Garnett was showing up the ridiculous attitude that he had for what it was, he was the one left looking stupid.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Flix wrote:They don't understand that the brunt of the jokes in It ain't alf hot, was the pompous colonialist attitude and stuffed shirt establishment, much like Alf Garnett was showing up the ridiculous attitude that he had for what it was, he was the one left looking stupid.
Absolutely, the old Char Wallah was more British than the British and referred to himself as "we British".  I could hardly believe it was the same man when I saw him in "Last Of The Summer Wine" great actor. (Michael Bates as Cyril Blamire).

I loved watching Alf Garnet.

Remember when they got the black home-help who pretended to be gay whenever he was around Alf,  and Alf was scared stiff of him. 
Great comedy.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 pm

I think the last of the good comedy was Last of the Summer Wine, Fools and Horses, Porridge, Dad's Army etc I can practically recite the dialogue of many episodes of some of them, I know the jokes but can still laugh out loud everytime. The timing is brilliant. These days alas I watch a comedy and just sit there and its perhaps that I just don't get it, I don't want to watch it even one more time let alone over and over.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Possibly, given the choice in staying in the past for my comedic enjoyment or having to lower myself into the gutter to be able to have some thing to snigger at like some school child, I'll stay with the past thanks.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am

Flix wrote:Possibly, given the choice in staying in the past for my comedic enjoyment or having to lower myself into the gutter to be able to have some thing to snigger at like some school child, I'll stay with the past thanks.
Good on you, I also would rather listen to/watch the likes of  Dave Allen or the antics of Frank Spencer than the filth spouted by the juvenile progressive wannabees of today.

PS:

Like the so-called "Lady Gaga" being spewed on (deliberately as part of her act or whatever you would call it.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/lady-gagas-sxsw-vomit-artist-defends-bulimia-chic-performance-after-criticism-from-demi-lovato-and-fans-9197135.html

Last edited by wyatt1 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ps)
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Unfortunately most 'entertainment' these days is just there to keep the masses quiet, like the cowboys singing to the herd to keep them calm, they think its so progressive to be naughty, to celebrate bad and unruly behaviour and 'push the boundaries' which of course rubs off on those of us who either just don't have the capacity to see it for what it is, have been brought up to think its normal to behave like that already, those who are too lazy to think for themselves or are too scared not to be seen to enjoy it. Entertainers have to to ridiculous lengths to stay in the limelight, spite and laughing at people is the order of the day, it won't be a suprise that before long gladiatoral games are re invented, sort of running man type thing.
There are many things in this day and age that are great for all of us, life better than we've ever experienced in many ways and hopefully there's more to come, generally speaking entertainment and personal behaviour is proving not to be one of those things, in fact its just the tip of the iceberg which contributes (with lack of resources and the economy) to the decay and eventual demise of a society - look up the histories of various societies which have collapsed.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Flix wrote:Unfortunately most 'entertainment' these days is just there to keep the masses quiet, like the cowboys singing to the herd to keep them calm, they think its so progressive to be naughty, to celebrate bad and unruly behaviour and 'push the boundaries' which of course rubs off on those of us who either just don't have the capacity to see it for what it is, have been brought up to think its normal to behave like that already, those who are too lazy to think for themselves or are too scared not to be seen to enjoy it. Entertainers have to to ridiculous lengths to stay in the limelight, spite and laughing at people is the order of the day, it won't be a suprise that before long gladiatoral games are re invented, sort of running man type thing.
There are many things in this day and age that are great for all of us, life better than we've ever experienced in many ways and hopefully there's more to come, generally speaking entertainment and personal behaviour is proving not to be one of those things, in fact its just the tip of the iceberg which contributes (with lack of resources and the economy) to the decay and eventual demise of a society - look up the histories of various societies which have collapsed.
Those who find 'racism'  in every thing imaginable, where none exist, are the true racists and cause more bitterness and division than any other known group.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Does anyone else feel the urge to cram Russel Brand into an industrial washing machine for a good scrub.   Suspect  confused
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum