IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 years a slave

+2
tom sawyer
eddie
6 posters

Go down

12 years a slave  Empty 12 years a slave

Post  eddie Tue May 20, 2014 8:36 am

Anyone seen this film?
We watched it last night and I have to say that, whilst good, it didn't make me feel any emotional empathy for the main character.
The acting was good, but I don't think Steve McQueen's direction was great - there was not enough grit.

It did make me realise more than ever though, why the word "nigger" is so derogatory to black people.
They were treated abysmally.
eddie
eddie

http://www.myspace.com/fireflyuk

Back to top Go down

12 years a slave  Empty Re: 12 years a slave

Post  tom sawyer Tue May 20, 2014 11:59 pm

eddie wrote:Anyone seen this film?
We watched it last night and I have to say that, whilst good, it didn't make me feel any emotional empathy for  the main character.
The acting was good, but I don't think Steve McQueen's direction was great - there was not enough grit.

It did make me realise more than ever though,  why the word "nigger" is so derogatory to black people.
They were treated abysmally.

You mean as the white man is now treated

tom sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 am

Erm no tom. We are not being kidnapped and treated as slaves on a mass scale are we?
eddie
eddie

http://www.myspace.com/fireflyuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Smelly_bandit Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 pm

eddie wrote:Erm no tom. We are not being kidnapped and treated as slaves on a mass scale are we?

Our children are

Ever heard of the Muslim grooming gangs
Smelly_bandit
Smelly_bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 pm

I thought 12 years a slave referred to Labour's term in government.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

eddie wrote:Erm no tom. We are not being kidnapped and treated as slaves on a mass scale are we?

Once upon a time yes,people were taken from all over Europe's coasts, even Britain and Ireland, ever heard of Barbary pirates?
Young boys were taken from Greece on a regular basis and reducated and brought up as Muslims - as it happens - and soldiers to become the famous Janissaries. Female slaves were still being sold in the Ottoman Empire until 1908 even though it had become illegal years before, eastern Europe was a favourite place to aquire them hence the blonde blue eyed people in the area of the old Ottoman Empire.
Anywhere in the Roman Empire slaves were aquired through battles lost by the local natives, money owed etc., whole swathes of the population could be carried off and sold and the life of the average slave in Rome could be pretty hard, beaten for the slightest thing or nothing, sexually abused, killed for fun, on country estates if there was a revolt or even one slave did anything to harm the master either design or accident the entire slave population was put to death.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Smelly_bandit Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Patches O'houlihan wrote:I thought 12 years a slave referred to Labour's term in government.
 ROFL
Smelly_bandit
Smelly_bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 am

There's many a truth spoken in jest Keith,   [I think I got that right]
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content