Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Go down

Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:39 pm

In Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, hedge fund manager Joon Yun is doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation. According to US social security data, he says, the probability of a 25-year-old dying before their 26th birthday is 0.1%. If we could keep that risk constant throughout life instead of it rising due to age-related disease, the average person would – statistically speaking – live 1,000 years. Yun finds the prospect tantalising and even believable. Late last year he launched a $1m prize challenging scientists to “hack the code of life” and push human lifespan past its apparent maximum of about 120 years (the longest known/confirmed lifespan was 122 years).
Yun believes it is possible to “solve ageing” and get people to live, healthily, more or less indefinitely. His Palo Alto Longevity Prize, which 15 scientific teams have so far entered, will be awarded in the first instance for restoring vitality and extending lifespan in mice by 50%. But Yun has deep pockets and expects to put up more money for progressively greater feats. He says this is a moral rather than personal quest. Our lives and society are troubled by growing numbers of loved ones lost to age-related disease and suffering extended periods of decrepitude, which is costing economies. Yun has an impressive list of nearly 50 advisers, including scientists from some of America’s top universities.


http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/11/-sp-live-forever-extend-life-calico-google-longevity


Okay now that the anti-Muslim brigade have calmed down, we can get back to some normal debating


Is this the way forward in a world where the populations are rising, which will in affect make worse?

I can only think of one group of people by extending their lives where it would be of benefit to humanity.

What do others think?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:27 pm

And back to the article at hand.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Flap Zappa on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Phil Didge wrote:In Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, hedge fund manager Joon Yun is doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation. According to US social security data, he says, the probability of a 25-year-old dying before their 26th birthday is 0.1%. If we could keep that risk constant throughout life instead of it rising due to age-related disease, the average person would – statistically speaking – live 1,000 years. Yun finds the prospect tantalising and even believable. Late last year he launched a $1m prize challenging scientists to “hack the code of life” and push human lifespan past its apparent maximum of about 120 years (the longest known/confirmed lifespan was 122 years).
Yun believes it is possible to “solve ageing” and get people to live, healthily, more or less indefinitely. His Palo Alto Longevity Prize, which 15 scientific teams have so far entered, will be awarded in the first instance for restoring vitality and extending lifespan in mice by 50%. But Yun has deep pockets and expects to put up more money for progressively greater feats. He says this is a moral rather than personal quest. Our lives and society are troubled by growing numbers of loved ones lost to age-related disease and suffering extended periods of decrepitude, which is costing economies. Yun has an impressive list of nearly 50 advisers, including scientists from some of America’s top universities.


http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/11/-sp-live-forever-extend-life-calico-google-longevity


Okay now that the anti-Muslim brigade have calmed down, we can get back to some normal debating


Is this the way forward in a world where the populations are rising, which will in affect make worse?

I can only think of one group of people by extending their lives where it would be of benefit to humanity.

What do others think?
if people want to do that then they will also need to ensure that birth rates plummet

_______________________________________________________________________
Socialists never tire of spending other peoples money

To the twittersphere
if you wish to comment on this or any other thread then sign up and have your say in more than 140 characters. All political persuasions welcome

The Artist Formally Known As D555 - - Follow on twitter: @in_a_flap              
avatar
Flap Zappa
...........
...........

Posts : 37738
Location : village of the sun

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Jock McFlap wrote:
if people want to do that then they will also need to ensure that birth rates plummet



I do not think it is practical except for geniuses who can benefit society, hey have more time to bring forth many aspects that could help society.

To live an extra 20 to 40 years for me is of little benefit, but agree as stated you need to sort out the population rises,

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  nicko on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:16 pm

That's great,  if the owners are sure she's not in pain.
avatar
nicko
.........
.........

Posts : 7643
Location : rainbow bridge

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  nicko on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:26 pm

All the pussies I used to know are dead or dried up!
avatar
nicko
.........
.........

Posts : 7643
Location : rainbow bridge

Back to top Go down

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Flap Zappa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:14 am

Phil Didge wrote:
Jock McFlap wrote:
if people want to do that then they will also need to ensure that birth rates plummet



I do not think it is practical except for geniuses who can benefit society, hey have more time to bring forth many aspects that could help society.

To live an extra 20 to 40 years for me is of little benefit, but agree as stated you need to sort out the population rises,
if people live for a thousand years then births would have to be few and far between. We die off for a reason.
Its quality of life that counts, not quantity

_______________________________________________________________________
Socialists never tire of spending other peoples money

To the twittersphere
if you wish to comment on this or any other thread then sign up and have your say in more than 140 characters. All political persuasions welcome

The Artist Formally Known As D555 - - Follow on twitter: @in_a_flap              
avatar
Flap Zappa
...........
...........

Posts : 37738
Location : village of the sun

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:50 am

Jock McFlap wrote:
if people live for a thousand years then births would have to be few and far between. We die off for a reason.
Its quality of life that counts, not quantity



Did you seriously just write that?
wow
So to you each and every birth in quantity is not a quality of life to each and everyone?
Please explain that gobbledygook?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Live forever: Scientists say they’ll soon extend life ‘well beyond 120’

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum