'Scam baiters' get a kick out of conning the con artists

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Scam baiters' get a kick out of conning the con artists

Post  fatbob5 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:46 am

Every year tens of thousands of people are conned by online scammers, but it is not only the authorities taking action: a network of tech-savvy volunteers is also working to expose them.
"We waste scammers' time, we waste their resources and we make them believe they are not as good as they think they are," Jill - not her real name - explains to the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.
She is part of a global network of so-called scam baiters, who spend their evenings trying to unearth online con artists by pretending to fall for their tricks........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great News
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Scam baiters' get a kick out of conning the con artists

Post  wyatt1 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Every year tens of thousands of people are conned by online scammers, but it is not only the authorities taking action: a network of tech-savvy volunteers is also working to expose them.
"We waste scammers' time, we waste their resources and we make them believe they are not as good as they think they are," Jill - not her real name - explains to the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.
She is part of a global network of so-called scam baiters, who spend their evenings trying to unearth online con artists by pretending to fall for their tricks........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great News
I tell the 'Windows'  scammers that  they are being recorded and passed on to 'Microsoft',  they  hang up  immediately.  Grinning
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  blackie7 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I tell the 'Windows'  scammers that  they are being recorded and passed on to 'Microsoft',  they  hang up  immediately.  Grinning
 I had a E.mail a few weeks ago that looked official from the bank so not something you'd normally ignore and like a idiot I was answering all of the questions as they seemed to know everything anyway so it was just confirming that their facts were up to date and then it asked me to type in the security code numbers on my debit card and suddenly it clicked that banks never ask that online so I phoned the bank and they told me it was a con.
My question really is how did they know everything about me other than my security numbers unless from watching things I bought online?

blackie7

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
 I had a E.mail a few weeks ago that looked official from the bank so not something you'd normally ignore and like a idiot I was answering all of the questions as they seemed to know everything anyway so it was just confirming that their facts were up to date and then it asked me to type in the security code numbers on my debit card and suddenly it clicked that banks never ask that online so I phoned the bank and they told me it was a con.
My question really is how did they know everything about me other than my security numbers unless from watching things I bought online?
You have to be ultra careful nowadays
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top