IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A universal plug socket... at last?

2 posters

Go down

A universal plug socket... at last? Empty A universal plug socket... at last?

Post  wyatt1 Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Three pins. Two pins. Slanting pins. Straight. Circular. In a world where there is no global standard for plug design, taking electrical items abroad can be fraught with difficulties. But now a solution may be at hand - and already in use in China.

I have to report a minor breakthrough in the great power play between nations, and a very pleasant one at that.

Any global voyager burdened by electrical equipment will have been hugely frustrated by the rabid protectionism of the international electrical plug and socket industry.

It is almost as insistent a badge of nationhood as having your own national airline: an electrical plug that will fit only into an electrical socket designed by an intricate-minded national to be utterly impervious to other countries' plugs.

Continue reading the main story
From Our Own Correspondent

Broadcast on Saturdays at 11:30 BST on BBC Radio 4, and weekdays on BBC World Service
Listen to the BBC Radio 4 version
Download the podcast
Listen to the BBC World Service version
Explore the archive
Thus we have flimsy American two-pin sockets which are sometimes splayed in other countries. Two round pins in Europe, with German ones apparently minutely further apart than in France to frustrate the electric shaver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18266022
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

A universal plug socket... at last? Empty Re: A universal plug socket... at last?

Post  Cass Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Now it happens....bloody typical....where was this 4 years ago when I moved and had to sell or donate all my electrical stuff and buy new or purchase expensive and totally useless transformers? ??? Grrrrrr could have saved a fortune! Bah
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

A universal plug socket... at last? Empty Re: A universal plug socket... at last?

Post  wyatt1 Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Cass wrote:Now it happens....bloody typical....where was this 4 years ago when I moved and had to sell or donate all my electrical stuff and buy new or purchase expensive and totally useless transformers? ??? Grrrrrr could have saved a fortune! Bah

Murphy's Law. It never fails Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cass Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:01 pm

wyatt1 wrote:

Murphy's Law. It never fails Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Well tell Murphy to stick it lol!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Cass wrote:

Well tell Murphy to stick it lol!

You mean 'in a socket' of course lol! lol!
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down