IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn

+3
Hugh Jardon
Flap Zappa
wyatt1
7 posters

Go down

Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn Empty Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Asbestos-related diseases kill more people than road accidents in the UK each year, and the number is still growing - deaths are set to peak around 2016.

But in this week's Scrubbing Up column, Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, warns there could be further problems unless people become aware there may still be a risk in their home.

The story of asbestos-related disease is one of the great tragedies in public health in recent times.

Asbestos, a naturally occurring, affordable material with great heat resistant properties was widely used in industry and construction for much of the twentieth century.

It was such an effective material for insulation and fire-resistance it was used everywhere: in cement, to insulate pipes, ceilings and wall cavities.

It was only after decades of use in a wide variety ways that people noted the link between exposure to asbestos fibres and a number of different lung diseases - particularly the aggressive, cruel chest cancer mesothelioma.

Asbestos fibres can lie dormant in people's lungs for anywhere between 15 and 50 years after initial exposure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18456555
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn Empty Re: Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn

Post  Flap Zappa Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 pm

there is little risk from asbestos until you start messing around with it. MAny older properties may well have it somewhere, but unless you drill into it and cause dust it is not going to do much to you.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn Empty Re: Asbestos disease 'not a thing of the past', lung experts warn

Post  Hugh Jardon Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Flap Meister wrote:there is little risk from asbestos until you start messing around with it. MAny older properties may well have it somewhere, but unless you drill into it and cause dust it is not going to do much to you.

Back in the day I used to knock asbestos off commercial boilers with a lump hammer and a bolster chisel.
We used to run a hosepipe on it... to help control the dust.
Asbestos has a strange taste... similar to anthrax!

A short time before I came off the tools, I took down an asbestolux ceiling board in a school.
The clerk of works turned up and went absolutely f**king mental!
He was looking to shut down the school... even though he was the nob that wanted the work doing!
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Edmund Moletrousers Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Another of those government or campaign group warnings designed to scare the bejasus out of us and turn us into a nation of trembling hypochondriacs.

First we had everyone staring with trepidation into the lavatory bowl searching for "blood in the poo." Then it was fear and trepidation that an annoying cough might be lung cancer.

I suppose next we will all be examining ourselves for early signs of beri beri or dengue fever before daring to go out of the house.
Lord Edmund Moletrousers
Lord Edmund Moletrousers

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

Back in the day I used to knock asbestos off commercial boilers with a lump hammer and a bolster chisel.
We used to run a hosepipe on it... to help control the dust.
Asbestos has a strange taste... similar to anthrax!

A short time before I came off the tools, I took down an asbestolux ceiling board in a school.
The clerk of works turned up and went absolutely f**king mental!
He was looking to shut down the school... even though he was the nob that wanted the work doing!

I remember ripping out asbestos panels in the late 50's; no masks or anything.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Lord Edmund Moletrousers wrote:Another of those government or campaign group warnings designed to scare the bejasus out of us and turn us into a nation of trembling hypochondriacs.

First we had everyone staring with trepidation into the lavatory bowl searching for "blood in the poo." Then it was fear and trepidation that an annoying cough might be lung cancer.

I suppose next we will all be examining ourselves for early signs of beri beri or dengue fever before daring to go out of the house.

Not to mention a quick touch of Leprosy. Twisted Evil
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm

wyatt1 wrote:

I remember ripping out asbestos panels in the late 50's; no masks or anything.

And sticking them on fires and making them explode!
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

Broke them up and threw them onto a lorry, no gloves and stacks of dust; I still appear to be living though. Suspect
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 pm

wyatt1 wrote:
Hugh Jardon wrote:

Broke them up and threw them onto a lorry, no gloves and stacks of dust; I still appear to be living though. Suspect

it does mention in the article it can lay dormant for 50 years pale
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Flap Meister wrote:

it does mention in the article it can lay dormant for 50 years pale

Do I detect an evil hint of anticipation there.Tee Hee I am 6 years over the limit, so yah boo!! Thumbs up lol! lol!
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 am

wyatt1 wrote:

Best not to plan a cremation for yourself... Just in case!
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

Best not to plan a cremation for yourself... Just in case!

I have given up smoking, just in case :face:

PS: I joined up soon after to have a safer(?) life lol! lol!

Last edited by wyatt1 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ps)
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  jadeloue Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:05 pm

my mother died from asbestosis 40 years after she worked in a factory she was 56
jadeloue
jadeloue

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 pm

jadeloue wrote:my mother died from asbestosis 40 years after she worked in a factory she was 56

Sorry to hear that, very dangerous stuff and old buildings were full of it. People did not realise the danger. I was only involved with one building after leaving school. When we were clearing it up there was a howling gale blowing, so that took care of any dust fortunately.About 55 years ago.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  tom sawyer Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 pm

wyatt1 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, very dangerous stuff and old buildings were full of it. People did not realise the danger. I was only involved with one building after leaving school. When we were clearing it up there was a howling gale blowing, so that took care of any dust fortunately.About 55 years ago.

There are different types of asbestos is there not, i think one is blue asbestos
i dint know which is worst?

tom sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm

tom sawyer wrote:

There are different types of asbestos is there not, i think one is blue asbestos
i dint know which is worst?

I honestly couldn't tell you Tom, I never had any more to do with it. Smile
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  tom sawyer Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 pm

wyatt1 wrote:

I honestly couldn't tell you Tom, I never had any more to do with it. Smile

Just googled it Apparently there are three types and blue is the worst,
they all have different properties,

tom sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  wyatt1 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 pm

tom sawyer wrote:

Just googled it Apparently there are three types and blue is the worst,
they all have different properties,

In the ships all the hot piping was wrapped in the stuff. If we blew up I don't suppose it would matter much. affraid
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  jadeloue Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

my mum died in the seventies but places were still being built with asbestos even though councils etc knew the risks
jadeloue
jadeloue

Back to top Go down

Post  guest .. Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:07 am

Many old early 1970's domestic warm air heating systems used asbestos in the ducting, tis a major risk to gas fitters ripping out old systems.

guest ..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down