IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say

4 posters

Go down

Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say Empty Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say

Post  wyatt1 Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Smartphones running Google's Android software have been hijacked by an illegal botnet, according to a Microsoft researcher.

Botnets are large illegal networks of infected machines - usually desktop or laptop computers - typically used to send out masses of spam email.

Researcher Terry Zink said there was evidence of spam being sent from Yahoo mail servers by Android devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18720565

Anyone surprised?
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say Empty Re: Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say

Post  Flap Zappa Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 pm

wyatt1 wrote:Smartphones running Google's Android software have been hijacked by an illegal botnet, according to a Microsoft researcher.

Botnets are large illegal networks of infected machines - usually desktop or laptop computers - typically used to send out masses of spam email.

Researcher Terry Zink said there was evidence of spam being sent from Yahoo mail servers by Android devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18720565

Anyone surprised?

wouldn't you get suspicious when your internet usage goes up and you start getting charged a fortune?

I have disabled internet access on my phone as it kept using up my credit without my asking. I deleted the access points.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say Empty Re: Android smartphones 'used for botnet', researchers say

Post  wyatt1 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Flap Meister wrote:

wouldn't you get suspicious when your internet usage goes up and you start getting charged a fortune?

I have disabled internet access on my phone as it kept using up my credit without my asking. I deleted the access points.

Quite right. I have got rid of my mobile and only have the main phone, I only ever get 'cold calls' and offers to fix my PC anyway.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Don't have a smart-phone and never plan on using one.

I think they're unnecessary toys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm

wyatt1 wrote:
Flap Meister wrote:

Quite right. I have got rid of my mobile and only have the main phone, I only ever get 'cold calls' and offers to fix my PC anyway.

I only get calls from the mrs on mine anyway. It is handy as it has GPS maps built in and I do not need to be online to access them. I rarely use the camera as I have a good camera, I have a PPC to do my PC needs on the move.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Queen of Hearts wrote:Don't have a smart-phone and never plan on using one.

I couldn't be without my iPhone. Amazing bit of kit
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Durham wrote:
Queen of Hearts wrote:Don't have a smart-phone and never plan on using one.

I couldn't be without my iPhone. Amazing bit of kit

apart from the fact it seems incapable of only cutting a paragraph of a story and posting the link.,
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Flap Meister wrote:

apart from the fact it seems incapable of only cutting a paragraph of a story and posting the link.,

It's perfectly capable.....as I do regularly.

The only time I don't is from the skynews APP. Icant be f**ked (Language Timothy) to go and find the link off the news site when I've posted the story (that someone could copy and paste into google to get)......so I have just stopped bothering posing from that source
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  IlonaSong Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 am

Haven't had a smartphone yet, but the new Samsung S3 is on my wish list!

Don't want anything to do with apple, too restrictive i.e. everything is in their own 'language'.
IlonaSong
IlonaSong

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 am

IlonaSong wrote:Haven't had a smartphone yet, but the new Samsung S3 is on my wish list!

Don't want anything to do with apple, too restrictive i.e. everything is in their own 'language'.

Thats a myth IS.

iPad and iPhone both open and read all Microsoft office applications. The only Thing it doesn't do is use windows based software for filing stuff.

However that's easy to get around and there are dozens of apps to save things in, I prefer readdledocs.

Okay, the iTunes stuff makes it a bit tricky to get music elsewhere, but I'd you're going to legally download I am not sure why you would use anywhere else. CDs and DVDs all import into it fine, I have to say I have never had a problem with either device and wouldn't be without them now
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  IlonaSong Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:50 am

Durham wrote:

Thats a myth IS.

iPad and iPhone both open and read all Microsoft office applications. The only Thing it doesn't do is use windows based software for filing stuff.

However that's easy to get around and there are dozens of apps to save things in, I prefer readdledocs.

Okay, the iTunes stuff makes it a bit tricky to get music elsewhere, but I'd you're going to legally download I am not sure why you would use anywhere else. CDs and DVDs all import into it fine, I have to say I have never had a problem with either device and wouldn't be without them now

I'm in China and most of the music written by man is freely available (legally in China) on Mp3/4 or 5, they won't work on Iphones (don't know about Ipads as I have no interest in them). My wife has an Iphone 4 and when I get my S3 she's coming over too. (although she can bloody well wait till we've got the cash, my phone's older than Methusela.)
IlonaSong
IlonaSong

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 am

IlonaSong wrote:

I'm in China and most of the music written by man is freely available (legally in China) on Mp3/4 or 5, they won't work on Iphones (don't know about Ipads as I have no interest in them). My wife has an Iphone 4 and when I get my S3 she's coming over too. (although she can bloody well wait till we've got the cash, my phone's older than Methusela.)

Okay slightly different if you can get free music on MP3 format!.....although quite easy to convert to be compatible with apple and iTunes!
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  IlonaSong Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 am

When I came to China I copied all my CDs to my external HD for my laptop, so they were in wmv format. So when I got here I wanted to upload them to my mp3 player, no problems just got a bit of software which converted them all, it would convert into any format EXCEPT apple, so my wife's Ipod Nano is a lot out of date, which is Apple's loss as she used to download (and pay) from official sites. Now like everyone else in China she uses an Mp3 and downloads for free.

Apple lose the download business but they also lose the Ipod business, no-one out here will touch Apple Ipods (although they like the phones,) as the music is a pain. For that reason alone I won't use Apple on principle. If everyone wrote in the same language i.e. actually thought of the customers, I would actually pay for my downloads, but.......
IlonaSong
IlonaSong

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:16 am

IlonaSong wrote:When I came to China I copied all my CDs to my external HD for my laptop, so they were in wmv format. So when I got here I wanted to upload them to my mp3 player, no problems just got a bit of software which converted them all, it would convert into any format EXCEPT apple, so my wife's Ipod Nano is a lot out of date, which is Apple's loss as she used to download (and pay) from official sites. Now like everyone else in China she uses an Mp3 and downloads for free.

Apple lose the download business but they also lose the Ipod business, no-one out here will touch Apple Ipods (although they like the phones,) as the music is a pain. For that reason alone I won't use Apple on principle. If everyone wrote in the same language i.e. actually thought of the customers, I would actually pay for my downloads, but.......

If your good lady wants to convert her songs for the iPod......do a google search and you will get dozens of links and a load of YouTube videos also.....it's not hard.

If you have and are happy with MP3....then there is no need.
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down