IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point

4 posters

Go down

Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point Empty Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point

Post  Zack AKA The Fuzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

A few weeks ago I asked Mike to provide proof that once a minority becomes 10% of the population, their opinions tend to become dominant in society.

Can't believe Mike was not forthcoming. I found proof in under 10 seconds and now I'm tired of waiting and that thread has become a distant memory.

http://news.rpi.edu/update.do

Minority Rules: Scientists Discover Tipping Point for the Spread of Ideas

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society. The scientists, who are members of the Social Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center (SCNARC) at Rensselaer, used computational and analytical methods to discover the tipping point where a minority belief becomes the majority opinion. The finding has implications for the study and influence of societal interactions ranging from the spread of innovations to the movement of political ideals.

Once that number grows above 10 percent, the idea spreads like flame.”

As an example, the ongoing events in Tunisia and Egypt appear to exhibit a similar process, according to Szymanski. “In those countries, dictators who were in power for decades were suddenly overthrown in just a few weeks.”

An important aspect of the finding is that the percent of committed opinion holders required to shift majority opinion does not change significantly regardless of the type of network in which the opinion holders are working. In other words, the percentage of committed opinion holders required to influence a society remains at approximately 10 percent, regardless of how or where that opinion starts and spreads in the society.

...contd.

Zack AKA The Fuzz

Back to top Go down

Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point Empty Re: Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point

Post  Tess Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Really? So how do you explain what happened to the Jews in pre-war Germany? Did the rest of the people convert to Judaism?
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point Empty Re: Minority Rules - The 10% Tipping Point

Post  Zack AKA The Fuzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Tess wrote:Really? So how do you explain what happened to the Jews in pre-war Germany? Did the rest of the people convert to Judaism?

You do know that I didn't write the report?

Zack AKA The Fuzz

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Zack AKA The Fuzz wrote:

You do know that I didn't write the report?

Yes but you posted it. It's a load of rubbish, but no doubt the authors got paid for it.

Before Didge jumps in to try to squash my answer about Jews, there's also England - that's mainly CofE, but with a high proportion of Catholics, certainly more than 10%. But I can't see protestants all converting either.
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zack AKA The Fuzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Tess wrote:

Yes but you posted it. It's a load of rubbish, but no doubt the authors got paid for it.

Before Didge jumps in to try to squash my answer about Jews, there's also England - that's mainly CofE, but with a high proportion of Catholics, certainly more than 10%. But I can't see protestants all converting either.

I posted something Mike should have posted. Read the OP again.

I'm glad you think it's rubbish.

You are also wrong about the Jews being 10% of the German population during the Nazi era.

According to the census of June 16, 1933, the Jewish population of Germany, including the Saar region (which at that time was still under the administration of the League of Nations), was approximately 505,000 people out of a total population of 67 million, or somewhat less than 0.75 percent.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005276

0.75% is 9.25% less than 10%. In case you didn't know.

Zack AKA The Fuzz

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 pm

The way the lids are going in Brighton with all " Their " policies and the spending the point has been proven.
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Zack AKA The Fuzz wrote:

I posted something Mike should have posted. Read the OP again.

I'm glad you think it's rubbish.

You are also wrong about the Jews being 10% of the German population during the Nazi era.

According to the census of June 16, 1933, the Jewish population of Germany, including the Saar region (which at that time was still under the administration of the League of Nations), was approximately 505,000 people out of a total population of 67 million, or somewhat less than 0.75 percent.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005276

0.75% is 9.25% less than 10%. In case you didn't know.

Hold on now, let me get this straight. You're saying the total population of Jews in Germany was 505,000. So where did Hitler find the other 5 and a half million?

scratch
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zack AKA The Fuzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Tess wrote:

Hold on now, let me get this straight. You're saying the total population of Jews in Germany was 505,000. So where did Hitler find the other 5 and a half million?

scratch

Why don't you try doing a little research to educate yourself and you'll find out?

Then come back and tell us all.

Zack AKA The Fuzz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Tess wrote:Really? So how do you explain what happened to the Jews in pre-war Germany? Did the rest of the people convert to Judaism?

I think certain groups made an effort to make sure that did not occur.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Tess wrote:

scratch

It is often argued that the death toll number is grossly exaggerated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Zack AKA The Fuzz wrote:

Why don't you try doing a little research to educate yourself and you'll find out?

Then come back and tell us all.

Okay. Seems like half of them weren't even Jewish:

http://holocaustforgotten.com/Lucaire.htm
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Tess wrote:

scratch

By invading other countries!

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Zack AKA The Fuzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Tess wrote:

Okay. Seems like half of them weren't even Jewish:

http://holocaustforgotten.com/Lucaire.htm

According to experts, 6m were Jewish but most of them (3m +) were Polish. Not German.

Zack AKA The Fuzz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down