IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this?

2 posters

Go down

Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this? Empty Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this?

Post  fatbob5 Sun May 23, 2021 11:36 am

Question

If someone attacks you with a knife, and you have had a lot of hand to hand training, but no knife training, what is a good strategy to fight them with? Do you keep them at a range with kicks or go in super close for a grapple and break?

Answer

This actually happened to me in real life. I was outside a club and a guy tried to sucker stab me. Luckily I happened to see him out of my peripheral vision, I turned to him and at the last minute saw the knife. He had gotten really close to me, because he approached me from the side. ......

Open Link for Full Answer

https://www.quora.com/If-someone-attacks-you-with-a-knife-and-you-have-had-a-lot-of-hand-to-hand-training-but-no-knife-training-what-is-a-good-strategy-to-fight-them-with-Do-you-keep-them-at-a-range-with-kicks-or-go-in-super-close-for-a/answer/Sol-Roth-2
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this? Empty Re: Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this?

Post  smelly-bandit Sun May 23, 2021 11:13 pm

whatever works bob, whatever works.

this worked for this guy,he was lucky, that is if the story is to be believed, it sounds a bit far fetched knife attacks are usually a few seconds of shit-your-pants frenzied fuck fests not hollywood choreographed one strike games of chess where he goes, you go, he goes you, no its he goes, he goes, he goes, you die

but if he has trained in martial arts for many years then thats a big advantage, but he still shit his pants and only just about got away, the ordinary person dies, take a look at the knife death rate in london, untrained thugs murdering untrained thugs , you dont need to be trained to attack with a knife, all you gotta do is land a good strike and its game over for your target.

what ive been taught is to keep the blade away from your body and vital components, the reality is that no matter what you do you will get hurt and cut so the rationale is to be prepared to sacrifice parts of your body that wont disable or kill you and allow you to get in a hit so you can escape, like this guy did

we had dummy knives with lipstick applied on the edge and then trained to attack and defend,the amount of times i would have died from arterial slices was horrendous and let me tell there was no grabbing hold of anyones wrist, thats one of the first things they said to try, it didnt work.

i understand the techincal concept of defence against a knife attack, how to rob power and momentum from an attack and how to prevent follow up attacks, what parts of their body to focus on, how to strike to disable and what parts of your body to sacrifice so you can run away but the reality is that you are very very very lucky to survive a knife attack because you matter what you know or how well trained you are if you see the threat 1 second too late youre dead, even if you see the threat youre gonna get fucked up.

the best defence is situational awareness, dont get so drunk that you can barely stand, dont go to areas you know are dangerous, stay in a group just be aware of whats going on around you.

put it this way bob, if you gave me the choice between taking a knife and facing off against one untrained guy who also had a knife, or gave me a rifle and 10 mags and told me to take on against 20 untrained opponents with rifles, id choose option number 2 any day of the week.
smelly-bandit
smelly-bandit

Back to top Go down

Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this? Empty Re: Smelly Bandit - What do you think of this?

Post  fatbob5 Wed May 26, 2021 7:48 am

All those hours playing Double Dragon 
A lie
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  smelly-bandit Wed May 26, 2021 2:52 pm

@fatbob5 wrote:All those hours playing Double Dragon 
A lie

hold your tongue heathen 

the Dragons are sacred and not be blasphemed against!!!!!
smelly-bandit
smelly-bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Thu May 27, 2021 1:09 pm

@smelly-bandit wrote:

hold your tongue heathen 

the Dragons are sacred and not be blasphemed against!!!!!
Humble apologies
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Thu May 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Would a leather jacket offer any protection ?
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  smelly-bandit Thu May 27, 2021 4:25 pm

@fatbob5 wrote:Would a leather jacket offer any protection ?

Maybe, I suppose it depends on the thickness of the leather and how frenzied the attack is. It might  help slightly against a slashing attack but it won't do anything against a well placed thrust

It would be better to wind the jacket round one of your forearms and use that as a sort of make shift shield

You planning on a nice holiday getaway to London or something??
smelly-bandit
smelly-bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:41 pm

What about an umbrella?
A long one with a metal tip.
Someone pulls a knife, it can be thrust straight into their face
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:44 pm

@smelly-bandit wrote:

Maybe, I suppose it depends on the thickness of the leather and how frenzied the attack is. It might  help slightly against a slashing attack but it won't do anything against a well placed thrust

It would be better to wind the jacket round one of your forearms and use that as a sort of make shift shield

You planning on a nice holiday getaway to London or something??
Been a while since I've last been to old Londonium
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  smelly-bandit Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

@fatbob5 wrote:What about an umbrella?
A long one with a metal tip.
Someone pulls a knife, it can be thrust straight into their face

i dont know bob, would you like a metal tipped brolly shoved up your nostril?

personally if you went for that you might try some kind of distraction trick first like opening and closing the the brolly in quuick succession and moving around like youre trying to shoo away a pesky seagull, and then try shove it in his face, if you went for the thrust straight away he might be waiting for that and could grab the brolly and use it to pull you into the knife

its all well and good saying these things but it will take a great deal of luck and trump sized balls to not panic and fuck it up, like i said a knifeman doesnt need to be trained, the one of the  london  attackers apparently had knives taped to his hands to avoid having being disarmed and just went around windmilling everyone
smelly-bandit
smelly-bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Just out of interest
If you had a person who was a professional boxer, how would you rate their chances against some random thug with a knife?
One quick powerful jab to the face could be all they need?
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  smelly-bandit Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:54 pm

@fatbob5 wrote:Just out of interest
If you had a person who was a professional boxer, how would you rate their chances against some random thug with a knife?
One quick powerful jab to the face could be all they need?

i dont, more likely a pro boxer might fancy his chances, fiihting in a ring is one thinig, a knife fight in th gutter is another

still gotta land your blow without getting impaled
smelly-bandit
smelly-bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum