IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns

4 posters

Go down

Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Empty Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns

Post  wyatt1 Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 am

Chargers are one of the main fake electrical products entering the UK and some have electrocuted people and started fires.

8:59am UK, Sunday 11 August 2013

Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Charger-1-522x293

Video: Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns
Enlarge

• [email=?subject=Shared%20from%20Sky%20News:%20Mobiles%3A%20Phony%20Chargers%20Spark%20Safety%20Concerns&body=Shared%20from%20Sky%20News:%20Mobiles%3A%20Phony%20Chargers%20Spark%20Safety%20Concerns%20http://news.sky.com/story/1127100]Email[/email]

By Rhiannon Mills, Sky News Reporter
Mobile phone users are being warned about the serious risks of buying fake chargers as safety experts fear a growing number are ending up in UK homes.
The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) says the counterfeit chargers are now one of the main fake electrical products entering the UK and have given some people electric shocks or even started fires.
"There is possibly going to be an increase in the problem due to them agreeing to sell mobile phones without the chargers in the box and that's to comply with European mandate to reduce electrical waste," Steve Curtler, from the ESC, told Sky News.
"This is why we're working with the mobile phone operators and doing as much as we can to raise awareness of the situation to ensure that people aren't lured into purchasing substandard and counterfeited products."
Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Cegrab-20130810-194125-402-1-522x293A charger being tested at a lab
New mum Katie Vines, from Bristol, paid less then £5 for a phone charger online.
It was plugged in close to her baby's cot when it exploded. The seller sent her a replacement but the second charger was also faulty and blew up.
She told Sky News: "I plugged it into my socket in my bedroom, I went off to the bathroom, my boyfriend was changing the baby at the time and I heard a loud bang and went to see what it was and unfortunately the phone charger had exploded into the socket."
According to the ESC, more than four million counterfeit goods were seized in the UK last year - with mobile phone chargers now one of the top electrical fakes.
Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Cegrab-20130810-194144-402-1-522x293A cheap charger bought online for a few pounds
Figures from Intellectual Property show just under 10,000 phone accessories were taken in by Trading Standards but it's suspected there are many more being sold and used.
Some have damaged expensive gadgets, electrocuted people and even started fires.
Bristol Trading Standards has been dealing with a growing number of these cases over the past 12 months, but said that because many of the products come from abroad it isn't easy to stop the trade.
Spokeswoman Sarah Saunders said: "It is very frustrating for Trading Standards to see these on the market. It’s worrying for us also. There is legislation that controls plugs and sockets and that’s there for a reason.
"It’s there to protect the UK consumers and those that are in the EU. When these products are bought from outside of the EU it makes it very difficult for the regulatory authorities to do much about it."
This week Apple announced plans to run a type of amnesty reducing the price of their chargers if shoppers hand in a fake.
It comes after a woman in China was electrocuted and died using her phone while it was plugged in to a counterfeit charger.
The ESC has produced a 'Safe Shopping' guide which gives advice on what to look for when buying third party electrical goods. They advise checking the voltage and the packaging of the item.

http://news.sky.com/story/1127100/mobiles-phony-chargers-spark-safety-concerns

Worth checking ;  it is your life.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Empty Re: Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns

Post  tom sawyer Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Fake cigarette 'fake clothing fake politicians ,we never had this problem untill labour opened the doors, they have a lot to answer for.

tom sawyer

Back to top Go down

Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns Empty Re: Mobiles: Phony Chargers Spark Safety Concerns

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:38 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
Fake cigarette 'fake clothing fake politicians ,we never had this problem untill labour opened the doors, they have a lot to answer for.
tom while I am all for bashing labour, this is because people want to save a few quid and buy them online direct from china.
Caveat emptor
springs to mind

Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 am

I'm sure this is part of the same story that's been doing the rounds for years?
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp
eddie
eddie

http://www.myspace.com/fireflyuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down