IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters

4 posters

Go down

Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters Empty Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm

It could be described as a period of uncivil war, the Family Research Council striking from a hidden base in Washington, DC, attempting to win their first victory against the Bioware gaming empire.

Only in this case, the empire seems to be doing good.

Star Wars: The Old Republic, a online role-playing game based in the Star Wars universe and developed by Bioware, has come under fire for its plans to include a gay storyline.

The Family Research Council, based in the US capital, are trying to drum up support for a rebellion against progressive video-gaming.

Tony Perkins, President of the FRC wrote: “In a galaxy not so far far away, Star Wars gamers have already gone to the dark side. The new video game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, has added a special feature: gay relationships.

“Bioware, the company that developed the game, said it’s launching a same-sex romance component to satisfy some complaints.

“That surprised a lot of gamers, since Bioware had made it clear in 2009 that “gay” and “lesbian” don’t exist in the Star Wars universe.”

The announcement was made by Bioware in September 2011.

The company said: “Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO [massively multiplayer online game] of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature.

“Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.”

Bioware was commended for listening to the gaming community after one of the moderators on its forum reportedly told fans in 2009 that the term “gay” did not exist in the Star Wars universe.

In 2009, Dragon Age: Origins was released by Bioware and included a fireside embrace between two male characters.

Now Perkins continues on behalf of the FRC: “Since the announcement, homosexuals have been celebrating the news, but parents sure aren’t [sic]. On the game’s website, there are more than 300 pages of comments – a lot of them expressing anger that their kids will be exposed to this Star Warped way of thinking. You can join them by logging on and speaking up. It’s time to show companies who the Force is really with!”

In 2007, Bioware included a lesbian storyline in its Mass Effect game.

The “scene of lesbian intimacy” led to the game being briefly banned in Singapore.

The Family Research Council supported a move last year to drop Haruki Murakami’s critically acclaimed Norwegian Wood from a New Jersey school’s reading list, citing the “homosexual agenda”.

The organisation was classified as a ‘hate group’ in 2010 by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a listing it called “slanderous”.

The game was announced in 2008 and developed by teams in Austin, Texas and at Bioware’s headquarters in Alberta, Canada at an estimated cost of $150-200 million.

Released in December, the updates which include gay characters have yet to be implemented.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/01/31/rebel-alliance-boycotts-star-wars-game-over-gay-characters/ Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters Empty Re: Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

this is just nonsense as I haven't seen a mention of gay relationships in any of the numerous star wars novels that I have read or any of the movies it isn't something that is an issue there.

I cannot see any justification for including gay storylines in this game. Most people will want to go out and kill storm troopers not kiss them.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters Empty Re: Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Flap Meister wrote:this is just nonsense as I haven't seen a mention of gay relationships in any of the numerous star wars novels that I have read or any of the movies it isn't something that is an issue there.

I cannot see any justification for including gay storylines in this game. Most people will want to go out and kill storm troopers not kiss them.

lol! Nothing wrong with 'progressive video-gaming' IMO!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Flap Meister wrote:this is just nonsense as I haven't seen a mention of gay relationships in any of the numerous star wars novels that I have read or any of the movies it isn't something that is an issue there.

is that a light sabre in your hand....or have you painted your knob in day-glo blue?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Philagain wrote:

lol! Nothing wrong with 'progressive video-gaming' IMO!
perhaps when it is warranted. this does not appear to improve the gameplay or bring anything to it.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Flap Meister wrote:
perhaps when it is warranted. this does not appear to improve the gameplay or bring anything to it.

TBH I've never been into gaming, but i can't see a problem with there being gay characters in them since gay kids play them too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Do they share joysticks?

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Adrian Messenger wrote:Do they share joysticks?

perhaps that why tatchell hangs around amusement arcades?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:25 pm

But why the need to bring sexuality into it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:But why the need to bring sexuality into it?

quite right SM.

"feel the force..Luke"
" OK...Ben...but put some more vaseline on it pls"
" That I will young Luke...the ring of Uranus is shining bright!"
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

quite right SM.

"feel the force..Luke"
" OK...Ben...but put some more vaseline on it pls"
" That I will young Luke...the ring of Uranus is shining bright!"

ROFL ROFL
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Smelly_bandit Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am

more pandering to homosexual extremism
Smelly_bandit
Smelly_bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am

Smelly_bandit wrote:more pandering to homosexual extremism

Is pandering a bit like dogging... but involves mascara and a length of bamboo?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:10 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 am

Guest wrote:

In support of gay characters ... We have a special avavatar set up on the wii.
It's a weedy character, with cross eyes, flat nose and curly hair.
It's also been set up as a left hander.
As a consequence it isn't good at (wii) sports.
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down