IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water

3 posters

Go down

Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water Empty Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water

Post  fatbob5 Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:03 pm

The first known interstellar asteroid may hold water from another star system in its interior, according to a study.

Discovered on 19 October, the object's speed and trajectory strongly suggested it originated beyond our Solar System.

The body showed no signs of "outgassing" as it approached the Sun, strengthening the idea that it held little if any water-ice.

But the latest findings suggest water might be trapped under a thick, carbon-rich coating on its surface.    ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water Empty Re: Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water

Post  Flap Zappa Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:24 pm

fatbob5 wrote:The first known interstellar asteroid may hold water from another star system in its interior, according to a study.

Discovered on 19 October, the object's speed and trajectory strongly suggested it originated beyond our Solar System.

The body showed no signs of "outgassing" as it approached the Sun, strengthening the idea that it held little if any water-ice.

But the latest findings suggest water might be trapped under a thick, carbon-rich coating on its surface.    ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
are we talking about the one they though was a spaceship last week?
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water Empty Re: Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water

Post  fatbob5 Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Flap Zappa wrote:
are we talking about the one they though was a spaceship last week?
The long cigar shaped one, yes
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Let's hope they leave it alone then, although I doubt it accessible with our rockets, thankfully. Anyone seen the film, Life yet?.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Flix wrote:Let's hope they leave it alone then, although I doubt it accessible with our rockets, thankfully. Anyone seen the film, Life yet?.
Its a film I want to watch soon
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Flix wrote:Let's hope they leave it alone then, although I doubt it accessible with our rockets, thankfully. Anyone seen the film, Life yet?.
it's unlikely that we could catch it as it is currently leaving the solar system, never to return, at 44km/sec or 158000 miles an hour. I don't think any man made object has made even a third of that speed yet.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down