Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Hugh Jardon on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Mental health problems intersect with sexual health in complex ways.
Although patients' mental health affects the success of efforts to
prevent and control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs),
we know little about the mental health status of persons seeking STD
clinic services. Investigators recently administered a structured
clinical interview to evaluate the prevalence of psychiatric disorders
in 201 men and women presenting to a public STD clinic in Baltimore.


By Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th
ed.) criteria, 45% of participants had current mood or substance use
disorders, and 29% had personality disorders (most often, antisocial
personality disorder [ASPD]) -- rates far exceeding those found in
community-based samples. ASPD, but not substance abuse, was
significantly associated with a diagnosis of any STD on a previous visit
or on the current clinic visit.
http://infectious-diseases.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2004/213/6


No...we all know that certain dirty sexually transmitted deseases..such as HIV, AIDS and syphiliss can be a causitive agent in severe mental illness/stability...but also living in cramped conditions can also have a devastating effect on the well being of the inhabitants.
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/180/5/428.short


Doesn't bear thinking about...does it?
avatar
Hugh Jardon
...........
...........

Posts : 15513
Location : Not up Dean's arse..or anyone's for that matter!

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Durham on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

The human body and mind are very complex sets of merging neurone and other tissues.

One with a mental health problem should do all they can to ensure they lead a "normal as possible" life so as it not to become a physical illness. Similarly, those with a physical illness should do everything they can to ensure it doesn't transfer to mental illness!

Living conditions, a happy life with varied family and friends, productive work life balance and a good dose of exercise is what is required!

Along with living life on the edge occasionally - but not dangerously!

Everything in moderation and some things in excess - but be careful which way around you get it!
avatar
Durham
..........
..........

Posts : 10560

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Hugh Jardon on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:53 am

@Durham wrote:The human body and mind are very complex sets of merging neurone and other tissues.

One with a mental health problem should do all they can to ensure they lead a "normal as possible" life so as it not to become a physical illness. Similarly, those with a physical illness should do everything they can to ensure it doesn't transfer to mental illness!

Living conditions, a happy life with varied family and friends, productive work life balance and a good dose of exercise is what is required!

Along with living life on the edge occasionally - but not dangerously!

Everything in moderation and some things in excess - but be careful which way around you get it!


Is throwing hissy fits, paranoia and petty jealousy also a symptom of such awful conditions?

Oh... Like the car... Best part of £30k I would venture!
avatar
Hugh Jardon
...........
...........

Posts : 15513
Location : Not up Dean's arse..or anyone's for that matter!

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Durham on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am

@Hugh Jardon wrote:


Is throwing hissy fits, paranoia and petty jealousy also a symptom of such awful conditions?

Oh... Like the car... Best part of £30k I would venture!

Well it certainly does not sound like being of sound mind and at peace with ones self.

Thank You!

The motor is a little over £31K when you add some of the extras that the firm insist on to protect its valued employees! Parking sensors front and rear, hands free kit for mobile phone etc

Only a slight increase in tax from my previous - but that's CO2 was a fair bit higher!
avatar
Durham
..........
..........

Posts : 10560

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Hugh Jardon on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

@Durham wrote:

Well it certainly does not sound like being of sound mind and at peace with ones self.

Thank You!

The motor is a little over £31K when you add some of the extras that the firm insist on to protect its valued employees! Parking sensors front and rear, hands free kit for mobile phone etc

Only a slight increase in tax from my previous - but that's CO2 was a fair bit higher!

Mine's roughly the same as the last VW.
Parking sensors(with a nice graphic that comes up on the media centre touch screen) for such decent sized cars is a must.
I do regret not sorting out the auto parking option.
The powered tailgate is the puppies!
Was dumping some old wardrobes for the eldest, he's bought some lovely new ones, earlier. The load bay in this is enormous.
avatar
Hugh Jardon
...........
...........

Posts : 15513
Location : Not up Dean's arse..or anyone's for that matter!

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and STDs..The Link is?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum