IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex

3 posters

Go down

Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex Empty Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am

Jan. 16, 2014 — A thickening of the brain cortex associated with regular meditation or other spiritual or religious practice could be the reason those activities guard against depression -- particularly in people who are predisposed to the disease, according to new research led by Lisa Miller, professor and director of Clinical Psychology and director of the Spirituality Mind Body Institute at Teachers College, Columbia University.

The study, published online by JAMA Psychiatry, involved 103 adults at either high or low risk of depression, based on family history. The subjects were asked how highly they valued religion or spirituality. Brain MRIs showed thicker cortices in subjects who placed a high importance on religion or spirituality than those who did not. The relatively thicker cortex was found in precisely the same regions of the brain that had otherwise shown thinning in people at high risk for depression.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116084846.htm

Interesting though  I do not suffer from any depression, so to me you can be just as happy in life without any religion or spirituality. Fair enough if it can help people.

Back to top Go down

Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex Empty Re: Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:54 am

You wouldn't would you Mr f**k-twaddling-perfect.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex Empty Re: Spirituality, Religion May Protect Against Major Depression by Thickening Brain Cortex

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 am

Sister Mary wrote:You wouldn't would you Mr f**k-twaddling-perfect.

Spit The dummy 

Well maybe you should convert to being a Muslim, may help your depression

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 am

No thanks, I'm looking forward to kicking the bucket.  This world has been turned into a living hell by people like you.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 am

Sister Mary wrote:No thanks, I'm looking forward to kicking the bucket.  This world has been turned into a living hell by people like you.

Really, I think you have claimed this poor accusation to many posters claiming thy have pushed you over the edge only to continually return. I have no doubt you suffer depression and I am sorry that you do, but you use it as a weapon to try and use the guilt trip on posters to excuse your own abuse!

Now that is poor to say the least

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am

What bollocks, I hate most human beings...but because of my psychopathic traits...I should.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 am

Sister Mary wrote:What bollocks, I hate most human beings...but because of my psychopathic traits...I should.

That is no excuse, other people with depression do not, you again use it as an excuse to be abusive, that is wrong,no matter what you say because clearly many times to some posters who are constantly nice, so if you can be nice to them you can be nice to everyone, showing it is a choice on your part whether you are nasty or nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 am

You know nothing.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:17 am

Sister Mary wrote:You know nothing.

So explain why you are nice to some people and not to others, are you suggesting that is not a choice on your part?

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:26 am

Some geezer once wrote that the world is but a stage and we are all actors.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 am

Sister Mary wrote:Some geezer once wrote that the world is but a stage and we are all actors.

Yes but are you saying now you are only acting and when being nice to posters here it is just an act and you really hate them then?

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 am

I have the ability to be charming and very friendly, but within I am dead.

I have led a double life and am considering divulging my darker side, it will shock.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am

Sister Mary wrote:I have the ability to be charming and very friendly, but within I am dead.

I have led a double life and am considering divulging my darker side, it will shock.

Do as you please Keith, that is your choice, but I am not convinced of any of what you are saying as clearly you get along with some people very well and never even seem to fall out with them, pointing even more so to it being a choice that you do, even acting out would be a choice, so on all fronts you can be nice when you want to be

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:40 am

Whatever.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  heavenly father Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 pm

I have read some articles that would claim certain religions have a higher rate of depression and even suicide than that of non religious, so i guess it as much what you believe as simply believing.

heavenly father

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Julian Carswell wrote:No thanks, I'm looking forward to kicking the bucket.  This world has been turned into a living hell by people like you.

Oh do come on keith....

Just turn that frown upside down...

You see, that wasn't too hard was it?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down