IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola

+5
Tess
BigAndy9
jadeloue
Smelly_bandit
wyatt1
9 posters

Go down

Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola Empty Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola

Post  wyatt1 Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:54 am

The government's emergency committee is to discuss the threat from the deadly virus, as fears mount it could spread to the UK.

The Government's emergency committee is to discuss how to tackle the "new and emerging" threat of ebola, as doctors in Britain were put on alert to spot symptoms of the deadly disease.
The outbreak is the largest in history, with the virus killing more than 670 people in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria since February.
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond told Sky News no British nationals have been affected by the outbreak so far, and there are no cases in the UK.
He said: "However the Prime Minister does regard it as a very serious threat and I will be chairing a Cobra meeting later today to assess the situation and look at any measures that we need to take either in the UK, or in our diplomatic posts abroad in order to manage the threat.
"We are very much focused on it as a new and emerging threat which we need to deal with."

Dr Brian McCloskey, director of global health at Public Health England (PHE), said the risk to British travellers and workers was low, but doctors needed to be vigilant.
Dr McCloskey said: "The continuing increase in cases, especially in Sierra Leone, and the importation of a single case from Liberia to Nigeria is a cause for concern as it indicates the outbreak is not yet under control.
"We have alerted UK medical practitioners about the situation in West Africa and requested they remain vigilant for unexplained illness in those who have visited the affected area."
"People who have returned from affected areas who have a sudden onset of symptoms such as fever, headache, sore throat and general malaise within three weeks of their return should immediately seek medical assistance."

The Government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Mark Walport, has told the Daily Telegraph that ebola was "potentially a major threat" to Britain due to the increasingly "interconnected" nature of the world.
British Airways, which flies to Sierra Leone and Nigeria, said in a statement: "The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority.
"We fully comply with the guidance provided by local health authorities and continue to monitor the situation closely."
Health workers tackling the outbreak have been particularly vulnerable to ebola, which can have a fatality rate of up to 90%.
There is no treatment or vaccine.

http://news.sky.com/story/1309883/cobra-meeting-as-brit-doctors-warned-over-ebola

The pursuit of profit is their top/only  priority.
wyatt1
wyatt1

Back to top Go down

Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola Empty Re: Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola

Post  Smelly_bandit Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Good thing we have such a liberal immigration policy
Smelly_bandit
Smelly_bandit

Back to top Go down

Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola Empty Re: Cobra Meeting As Brit Doctors Warned Over Ebola

Post  jadeloue Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:05 pm

hope my local health authority are up to speed nearly all the incomers are from nigeria
jadeloue
jadeloue

Back to top Go down

Post  BigAndy9 Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 pm

jadeloue wrote:hope my local health authority are up to speed nearly all the incomers are from nigeria

Probably all coming to work in the health service.

What a messed up world eh?!

ROFL
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 pm

A German hospital in Hamburg agreed to accept patients following a request from the World Health Organization (WHO), Deutsche Welle reports. Doctors assure that the utmost precautions will be taken to make sure the disease does not spread during treatment. The patients will be kept in an isolation ward behind several airlocks, and doctors and nurses will wear body suits with their own oxygen supplies that will be burned every three hours.

http://rt.com/news/176628-eu-ebola-high-alert/

YEAH right.... what could POSSIBLY go wrong now.....

Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Take all precautions of course they will but as its humans running the show it only takes one mistake by a tired nurse/doctor/orderly or someone just not concentrating and boom - world epidemic. Why don't they just take equipment and staff to the patients or use a hospital ship off the coast.
I'm glad I've got my supply of coveralls, masks and gloves. (for any epidemic Mers/Bird flu/ Flu get at least N95 respirator mask (if long term wear change every 3hours or when wet) and def get disposable gloves, train yourself not to touch your face - not easy as we do this thousands of times a day without realising and you can't wash your hands enough. Ebola is not supposed to be airborne its exposure to body fluids including sweat that does it but someone was querying that on a radio show this morning - non the less I would not like to be stuck for 8hrs in an aircraft with a sufferer.

Flix

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post  Flix Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Two people have presented themselves at hospitals to check gfor Ebola one was not even tsted but one man in Birminham did have all the tests and is found to be clear. I hope the authorities are not going to underestimate the threat of this virus in view of the easy access to travel anyone can be anywhere in approx 24/28 hours, the virus has an incubation period of a couple of days to 21 days depending on the amount of virus you are exposed to. Imagine the havoc it could wreak in the average city with crowded streets and equally crowded public transport and the fact that people commute quite long distances into cities for work, the spread would be difficult to contain.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  gelico Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Flix wrote:Two people have presented themselves at hospitals to check gfor Ebola one was not even tsted but one man in Birminham did have all the tests and is found to be clear. I hope the authorities are not going to underestimate the threat of this virus in view of the easy access to travel anyone can be anywhere in approx 24/28 hours, the virus has an incubation period of a couple of days to 21 days depending on the amount of virus you are exposed to. Imagine the havoc it could wreak in the average city with crowded streets and equally crowded public transport and the fact that people commute quite long distances into cities for work, the spread would be difficult to contain.

not to mention the enormous amount of unprotected sex that so many folk (not me) seem to go in for these days

Rolling Eyes 
gelico
gelico

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 pm

gelico wrote:

not to mention the enormous amount of unprotected sex that so many folk (not me) seem to go in for these days

Rolling Eyes 

Absolutely right Gelico, like you I don't indulge in anywhere anytime anybody sex so I hadn't thought of that, even if protection is used the virus can be transmitted by sweat - not as easily as someone coughing up blood and spraying it everywhere anyway..

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Smelly_bandit Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Flix wrote:Two people have presented themselves at hospitals to check gfor Ebola one was not even tsted but one man in Birminham did have all the tests and is found to be clear. I hope the authorities are not going to underestimate the threat of this virus in view of the easy access to travel anyone can be anywhere in approx 24/28 hours, the virus has an incubation period of a couple of days to 21 days depending on the amount of virus you are exposed to. Imagine the havoc it could wreak in the average city with crowded streets and equally crowded public transport and the fact that people commute quite long distances into cities for work, the spread would be difficult to contain.
When this breaks out it's gonna spread like wildfire 

One infected person on the tube in London and we be fucked
Smelly_bandit
Smelly_bandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down