IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grown Man Driven To Tears By Oculus Rift & Elite: Dangerous

Go down

Grown Man Driven To Tears By Oculus Rift & Elite: Dangerous Empty Grown Man Driven To Tears By Oculus Rift & Elite: Dangerous

Post  BigAndy9 Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 pm

4th August 2014

To compare, my experience last night:

• Was more impressive than the renowned Half Life [PC] moment where a huge tentacle from Xen pins a scientist to the wall, smashing through a pane glass window; one of the biggest shocks of my early PC gaming life. Seeing a planet floating yet suspended in the most subtle of motions at full scale is one for the bucket list.

• Pulled on heart strings harder than failing to resurrect Chrono in Chrono Trigger [SNES]. When you bond with a character so closely, losing them and then losing them again can really jerk you around.

• Gave me a purer sense of freedom than releasing Epona in The Ocarina of Time and taking a mane-whipping ride across the plains of Hyrule. I nearly shouted 'FREEEEDOM!' In the vein of my Scottish countrymen. Breaking free of the dock and boosting my engines felt like graduating from some interstellar university. I wished I had a hat to throw in the air and cheer.

• More satisfying than after more than 30 attempts defeating the end boss in Unreal Tournament named Xan, yet finally breaking through and securing the victory (and a new skin for muliplayer to show off proudly). Getting pulled out of warp and drawn into a gun battle which I only won thanks to some helpful players was simply epic. I thought I was a dead man... but lived.

• Was a more lucid experience than tunnelling to the core in Minecraft and feeling solitary, confined, and entombed by the glow of lava on the cave walls, wondering if I would ever find home again.

• Had me feeling truly lost in space and more in over my head than wandering the shores of the Chernarussian coast in DayZ mod for the first time with flares lighting up despondent zombie faces as they meandered ominously through the fog.

• Made me dream of the future more than walking through a custom built house in the DK1 and for the first time truly seeing the future of gaming and recognising the unbridled potential of this amazing new hardware at the hands of thousands of craftsmen and women (Rift devs!).

TL:DR Dude... dude... I wept over a game. What!? Yes. It happened.
In summary:
If you have disposable income to spend, the combination of an Oculus Rift DK2 plus Elite: Dangerous is perhaps the best available use of your funds right now. This is a jaw-dropping, tear-jerking experience and I give the developers at Frontier major kudos for getting so ahead of the pack and at an astounding level of quality on their delivery to date. I felt like I was back in the store in San Francisco on launch day for the iPhone. Frontier are months (if not years) ahead of their competition and deserving of your hard earned credits. :P (Seriously, though!)
I am SO happy to have taken the gut shot at ordering my DK2 on the basis of my original experineces. If you can, just do it. This is an absolutely incredible and groundbreaking experience.
I leave you with this:
"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." – Captain Kirk
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Grown Man Driven To Tears By Oculus Rift & Elite: Dangerous Empty Re: Grown Man Driven To Tears By Oculus Rift & Elite: Dangerous

Post  BigAndy9 Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 pm

BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down