IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla

4 posters

Go down

American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla Empty American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla

Post  Major Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 am

Furious tennis fans have called for an American commentator to be fired after he was accused of comparing African-American tennis superstar Venus Williams to a gorilla at the Australian Open.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4134830/Australian-Open-pundit-compares-Venus-Williams-gorilla.html#ixzz4WCTfj1EV 
Follow us: - | -

How unfair to the gorilla.

Is this racism, of course not, tiz snowflake troublemaking
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla Empty Re: American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla

Post  Syl Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 pm

It's racism insofar as I doubt he would describe a white players moves as resembling a gorillas, it's not a nice comparison anyway....for anyone.

But like one of the comments pointed out, Trump is often  described as a 'pig'....which he is, but I don't think anyone has picked up on any implied racism here. Grinning

Syl

Back to top Go down

American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla Empty Re: American Comparing Venus Williams To A Gorilla

Post  Flix Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm

He didn't call her a gorilla he said 'the gorilla effect' ie charging in type thing/going all out.
A bit unfortunate I suppose as black people have been likened to gorillas and apes.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Edmund Moletrousers Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 pm

The problem is that we have now reached the stage where it is virtually impossible even to mention any ethnic minority, colour, creed, disability, weight or even bloody hair colour without attracting the wrath of self-appointed social media zealots who seem to spend their entire waking hours scouring the internet for something - anything - that they can claim to be "offended" by.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm utterly pissed off by it all.
Lord Edmund Moletrousers
Lord Edmund Moletrousers

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Edmund Moletrousers Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Syl wrote:It's racism insofar as I doubt he would describe a white players moves as resembling a gorillas, it's not a nice comparison anyway....for anyone.

But like one of the comments pointed out, Trump is often  described as a 'pig'....which he is, but I don't think anyone has picked up on any implied racism here. Grinning

Syl, some white blokes are often referred to as gorillas, neanderthals, etc. because of their aggressive demeanour, be it in sports or in the street, but because they are white the self-appointed social media witchfinders wouldn't dream of shrieking "racist" at those criticising or commenting on their behaviour.
Lord Edmund Moletrousers
Lord Edmund Moletrousers

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Im certainly sick of it, you can barely have a conversation these days, without checking what you are going to say before you say it, we won't be speaking to each other before long in case someone gets flippin' offended.
The 'discussion programmes for the most part, are hardly discussions just a load of people agreeing with each other and hardly daring to voice an opposing opinion.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 am

Flix wrote:Im certainly sick of it, you can barely have a conversation these days, without checking what you are going to say before you say it, we won't be speaking to each other before long in case someone gets flippin' offended.
The 'discussion programmes for the most part, are hardly discussions just a load of people agreeing with each other and hardly daring to voice an opposing opinion.

I believe in calling a spade a spade.
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down