IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen

5 posters

Go down

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen Empty Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen

Post  Major Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Oh dear. It was laundry balls at dawn yesterday when television presenter Kirstie Allsopp suggested that it was unhygienic and frankly appalling, darlings, to have your washing machine in your kitchen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4690736/JAN-MOIR-posh-kitchen.html#ixzz4mi2Lcf1X 
Follow us: - | -

Who wants a washing machine in a kitchen???

Far better in a scullery, utility room, outhouse, along with freezer, ironing facilities and somewhere to stow ya shooting and fishing clothes. .
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen Empty , the outside loo

Post  Flix Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Its great if you have the room for this. I think she'd pass out if she realised how people lived only a couple or so decades ago and was considered normal by the vast majority. Cooking, daily ablutions and living done in the same room, a bath in front of the fire on Sunday night or special occassions, the outside loo. People have toilets packed into small downstairs 'bathrooms' next to the kitchen/under the stairs/next to the living room, more unhygienic or more so than a washing machine I would have thought if not used properly. The dirty clothes go in the machine, dirty water direct out into the drain ( most used to drain into the sink horror of horrors) clean clothes come out. Its not like your washing machine is dual purpose, you can't cook in it after all, especially not the fron loaders. We did live briefly in a house that had a wash house attatched, you had to light a fire under a large sort of modern cauldron, throw the clothes in and stir them around a bit, for whites you'd add a blue bag, then get the clothes out with tongs, throw some more in and do the same again, rinsing the clean clothes in the big Belfast sink then putting them through the mangle, then out on the line, what a palaver.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen Empty Re: Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen

Post  Major Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:48 pm

When we married my best gran moved out of her 4 bedroomed house and gave it to us, she moved into one of the bungalows with granddad.

The house had a add on brick scullery building containing a wood/coal/coke fire cauldron type boiling pot, every Monday a woman came in and done the laundry including the overalls, coats of the workmen, when dry she came back and ironed then.
I remember having to stoke the fire of the cauldron and fill it with rainwater, have it boiling for when the lady arrived.
The mangle was a ginormous thing, wooden rollers and cast iron fram.
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen Empty Re: Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen

Post  Flix Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes, I've nipped my fingers on the mangle a few times trying to help my mother on wash days as a youngster, don't suppose elf n safety let you near one now.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Unhygienic and Frankly Appalling To Have Washing Machine In Kitchen MANGLE_zps8iznor4o

This is a likeness of my grans mangle.
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 pm

My gran had one like that, the one my mother had was a bit more modern and utilitarian, some bits had cream enameled metal on it, covering  the top half of the top roller, on the sides, with a flat  bakerlite turner on the top to adjust the compression. Quite plain really. We also used to have ceiling light fittings with an extra socket on the side for other things like an iron, you had to stand on a chair to plug it in, I'm glad that's improved as well. You could get ones with th light bulb socket and two others.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:05 am

I remember those awful things but at the time we were grateful.

Do you remember the gadget for putting your small leftover bits of soap into it to make it a bigger piece, up until about 10 years ago I seen them on sale.

Do you remember going to the chemist with your own empty glass bottle into which he tipped a measured quantity of vinegar, proper vinegar as my gran called it.

Do you remember going to the chemist if you had fallen over and got a nasty abrasion upon your skin and he would dress it FREE.
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes to all of that. Sugar seemed sweeter, salt was saltier,  bread tasted better - and lasted longer, vinegar actually tasted, we used to go to the 'pictures' as kids and have a bag od chips and scrumps on the way home plenty of salt and vinegar, in a cone bag, there used to be a pool of vinegar and salt in the bottom which was drunk with relish  - mind you it could all be just my old taste buds.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm

The FLAT irons on the stove.

Do you remember this phrase or a similar one?   "Worthingtons have some best butter and sugar come in".

Getting a lump of suet with your joint of meat?

Dirty old potatoes weighed on a scales with a big heavy scoop?

Goes on the bumping cars for 6d.

One old penny 1d in the gas meter and a shilling in the electric.

The milkman delivering and the birds pecking off the cardboard tops?
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Ah yes - all of that. A swim in the cold grey sea then sitting with a towel wrapped around you, teeth chattering so much it was no effort to chew the soggy tomato sandwiches laced with sand, then up the fair with pennies you'd saved all year, maybe a threepence or two, you had to decide carefully what rides you went on, cos once the money was gone that was it, back on the bus for a sleepy ride home and the best night's sleep all year.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeppuz.

Twaz a penny on the bus.

Silver sugar tongs for sugar lumps.

I had to help clean the silver with Goddards Plate Powder.

Special knives and forls for fish.

Cake stand on the table

We all sat down together for dinner , most of the time anyway.

Leave a 6d bit under the plate as a tip in a restaurant, now the greedy bleeduz want ya car.

Leaving a glass of port/sherry and mince pie for Santa and the amazement to find it gone in the morning, just emptiz.

ALL TAXI DRIVERS were WHITE
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm

It's all gone now,    and I will be soon, thank god !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 pm

The USA government would NOT recognise 'organised crime' for years, the Capone era for example.

We are sleep walking to self destruction for NOT recognising the 'clandestine muzzy invasion of our island' and many other parts of the world.

WAKE UP GREAT BRITAIN, tiz now or never.
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post  gelico Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Major wrote:The USA government would NOT recognise 'organised crime' for years, the Capone era for example.

We are sleep walking to self destruction for NOT recognising the 'clandestine muzzy invasion of our island' and many other parts of the world.

WAKE UP GREAT BRITAIN, tiz now or never.

i've seen you make decent posts with no spelling mistakes or racism or stupidity so why this?

seeing this is so off putting and you make a great advert for turning to liberal tolerance of everything and open borders

don't you get it?
gelico
gelico

Back to top Go down

Post  fatbob5 Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 am

nicko wrote:It's all gone now,    and I will be soon, thank god !
Your generation will have ushered in cultural changes that previous generations would have been appalled by.
Women used to go to Church without fail every Sunday, always wearing a hat

They were being faithful to 1 Corinthians 1-16
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2011

And before anyone says that this particular part of the Bible doesnt apply to the modern day i would counter well in that case how come men aren't allowed to wear hats on church?
fatbob5
fatbob5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down