IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That's why mums go to Iceland

2 posters

Go down

That's why mums go to Iceland Empty That's why mums go to Iceland

Post  Hugh Jardon Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Sorry...I can't post the link ( on iPod) but have a look at the sky news site. The gov are looking at interconnectors which will harness electricity via Iceland. The abundant geothermal power available will be accessed via huge copper cables, laid under the sea.
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

That's why mums go to Iceland Empty Re: That's why mums go to Iceland

Post  Durham Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Here you go matey.....

George Sargent, Sky News Online
Icelandic volcanoes could soon power British homes if the Government secures a dramatic new energy deal.

Energy minister Charles Hendry will visit Iceland in May to negotiate an agreement that would mean laying hundreds of miles of cables underwater to satisfy the UK's energy needs.

The cables, known as interconnectors, would carry low carbon energy harvested from Iceland's geothermal sources such as volcanoes and geysers.

The plan could supply a third of the nation's average electricity demand.

Mr Hendry told Sky News Online: "We are looking to a low carbon economy. I think the best way is to get a number of different interconnectors first."

The copper cables would need to be up to 1,500km (about 932 miles) long to reach Iceland. The longest in the world.

Each kilometre of wire contains 800 tonnes of copper but 30km (19 miles) of it can be laid every day.

Mr Hendry said Iceland's geothermal energy prices would be negotiated on long-term contracts.

"We want to give consumers a clearer and more predictable idea of what they will have to pay," he told Sky News.

If agreed, Mr Hendry said the project could be up and running by the late 2010s.

The project is part of the European Union's pledge to have 20% of its energy come from renewable sources by 2020.

The EU planned a "supergrid" in 2010 that would harvest and distribute wind, wave and solar power across Europe.

Head of Climate Change at Earthwatch, Dr Dan Bebber, told Sky News Online: "Europe now has the opportunity to show the rest of the world that it is possible to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels."

He added: "The sun doesn't always shine, the wind turbines can stop moving but this can smooth out those fluctuations in power."

Iceland is keen to export energy after suffering badly in the global financial crisis.

All its major banks collapsed at the end of 2008 and it has been seeking ways to move its economy away from dependence on the financial sector and fishing.

Icelandic interconnectors have been discussed for decades but were deemed too expensive. 

However, rising energy prices in Europe have now made it feasible.

Britain already has two international interconnectors with France and the Netherlands.

Nine more are either in construction, formal planning or undergoing feasibility studies.

A link between the Republic of Ireland and Wales will open in autumn 2012.
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:58 am

Hugh Jardon wrote:Sorry...I can't post the link ( on iPod) but have a look at the sky news site. The gov are looking at interconnectors which will harness electricity via Iceland. The abundant geothermal power available will be accessed via huge copper cables, laid under the sea.

What do the bnp have to say about this? Are you standing as a bnp candidate in May bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am

deputy dawg wrote:

What do the bnp have to say about this? Are you standing as a bnp candidate in May That's why mums go to Iceland 3933776953

pathetic ickle troll that you are syphylis

No..I'll be visitng Douglas (in the IOM).

It was once a vibrant place..but now is a mere shadow of its former self.

i blame the too many low class visitors in the past...

I'll enter via the Douglas terminal (ferry) and have a lovely pootle about...
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum