IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials Empty Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials

Post  Flap Zappa Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/8987714/Olympics-green-credentials-questioned-over-fleet-of-BMWs-for-dignitaries-and-officials.html

what a surprise that they have a fleet of good cars for the dignitaries, while telling us all to be greener.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials Empty Re: Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials

Post  Flap Zappa Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 am

4000 cars averaging around £25000 means over £10000000 for cars.
what incredible waste of our money
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials Empty Re: Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials

Post  scottamylola Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Why are we using foreign built cars????

What is wrong with using Nissan, after all the money will stay in our economy.
scottamylola
scottamylola

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 pm

scottamylola wrote:Why are we using foreign built cars????

that made me laugh.
I think possibly the only british car maker left is McLaren. But they might be a bit pricy.
what they should have done is place an order for those Tata cars that cost less than £2000 each. Surely as this is supposed to be a green Olympics some pretence at green cars should be made. It seems though that the great and the good do enjoy their luxury.

good to see you back scotty, hope christmas and new year went well.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDoodles Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 pm

scottamylola wrote:Why are we using foreign built cars????

Err, no!:evil:

All profits made at UK, Japanese owned manufacturing plants, go to Japan!Twisted Evil

Yes, they DO provide jobs, but the Government paid these Companies, MASSIVE subsidies, to come here in the 1st place!Twisted Evil

Why do you think that the Nissan factory is in Washington, Tyne & Wear?
MrDoodles
MrDoodles

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Err, no!:evil:

All profits made at UK, Japanese owned manufacturing plants, go to Japan!Twisted Evil

Yes, they DO provide jobs, but the Government paid these Companies, MASSIVE subsidies, to come here in the 1st place!Twisted Evil

Why do you think that the Nissan factory is in Washington, Tyne & Wear?

Nice people who work hard

Smile
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:49 pm

DurhamLad wrote:

Smile

yep...many of whom took advantage of discounted/tax deductable cycles (a gov initiative, for cycling to work)...and sold them on... good lads!

On to the car....Beemers are some of the 'cleanest' and fuel efficient cars available today and a 320D ED will be on order in Feb 2012! Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials 1955600259
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

yep...many of whom took advantage of discounted/tax deductable cycles (a gov initiative, for cycling to work)...and sold them on... good lads!

On to the car....Beemers are some of the 'cleanest' and fuel efficient cars available today and a 320D ED will be on order in Feb 2012! Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials 1955600259

Excellent choice of vehicle. I'm currently in a 320 SE petrol. Same emissions as the diesel due to the stop/start technology (which I override) and doesn't sound like a tractor........
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 pm

DurhamLad wrote:

Excellent choice of vehicle. I'm currently in a 320 SE petrol. Same emissions as the diesel due to the stop/start technology (which I override) and doesn't sound like a tractor........

Ta very much...
yep...The tractor noise may be a problem.... but the 8 speed auto should make up for it...with a better MPG (68.9 combined), compared to the manual.
That said, I understand that BMW are a tad ambitious with their MPG figures..a colleague was expecting nigh on 55mpg (320D sport saloon) and is barely getting 50.
I'm currently driving another German brand and the diesel engine is as sweet as a nut.. goes like the devil and is very quiet!!
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Durham Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:

Ta very much...
yep...The tractor noise may be a problem.... but the 8 speed auto should make up for it...with a better MPG (68.9 combined), compared to the manual.
That said, I understand that BMW are a tad ambitious with their MPG figures..a colleague was expecting nigh on 55mpg (320D sport saloon) and is barely getting 50.
I'm currently driving another German brand and the diesel engine is as sweet as a nut.. goes like the devil and is very quiet!!

You can only really get that sort of mpg doing a steady 50 all the time
Durham
Durham

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:
DurhamLad wrote:

Smile

that may well be the case but probably not as green as the 600cc Tata that costs around £1900 each.
It certainly costs between £23000 to £28000 each less than the beamers. Meaning the 4000 being bought could be got for around £1000000 or less instead of more than £10000000.

and lets face it they would be able to travel just as fast as the beamers in london traffic.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:
DurhamLad wrote:

Ta very much...

to get that sort of mileage you need to keep under 3000 revs or around 50MPH
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 pm

DurhamLad wrote:

You can only really get that sort of mpg doing a steady 50 all the time

My current 2L diesel gives me over 55mpg on a 300 mile 'run'..where I hardly go under the posted limits....including the motorway.
The new (2012) ED quotes 80mpg on the extra urban cycle....why would anyone want a bloody Prius?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 pm

In A Flap wrote:

the 6 speed manual quotes a return of 1600rpm for 62mph....
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 pm

In A Flap wrote:

that may well be the case but probably not as green as the 600cc Tata that costs around £1900 each.
It certainly costs between £23000 to £28000 each less than the beamers. Meaning the 4000 being bought could be got for around £1000000 or less instead of more than £10000000.

and lets face it they would be able to travel just as fast as the beamers in london traffic.

Christ...let's think sod it...and get a shed load of tuk tuks....
I've not read the link..are they being bought or leased?
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:
In A Flap wrote:

the 6 speed manual quotes a return of 1600rpm for 62mph....

I was going on my 14 year old citroen xantia which would give me about 25MPH if I was lucky if I drove at 80 on the motorway. As petrol prices shot up I found at under 3000 revs or around 50MPH I could get about 42 - 45 on the motorway. A saving I found very worthwhile. Of course if you can do 60 at 1600 revs then you are likely to attain high mileage. I agree why would any one want a prius anyway, except if you want to look as if you are being green, when you don;t want to drive the ferrari.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm

In A Flap wrote:

I was going on my 14 year old citroen xantia which would give me about 25MPH if I was lucky if I drove at 80 on the motorway. As petrol prices shot up I found at under 3000 revs or around 50MPH I could get about 42 - 45 on the motorway. A saving I found very worthwhile. Of course if you can do 60 at 1600 revs then you are likely to attain high mileage. I agree why would any one want a prius anyway, except if you want to look as if you are being green, when you don;t want to drive the ferrari.

things have moved on so much over the past few years.... it's just a shame that SAAB went tits up..they had a cracking engine lined up which (if memory serves me right) was a 1.4L- developing 180BHP.
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:
In A Flap wrote:

things have moved on so much over the past few years.... it's just a shame that SAAB went tits up..they had a cracking engine lined up which (if memory serves me right) was a 1.4L- developing 180BHP.

well I have to say my citroen was a cracking investment. £5000 for a 2 year old car with 18000 on the clock. I had it for 12 years and it still had only done 85000.
Rarely cost me much to get through an MOT, the most was about £300 one year and it started every day and never broke down.
I only sold it because I could not afford to insure, MOT and tax it again and could not afford the cost of a garage. I would have driven it here to turkey of I could have got away without having to spend thousands on import duty.
A fantastic car.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:09 pm

In A Flap wrote:

well I have to say my citroen was a cracking investment. £5000 for a 2 year old car with 18000 on the clock. I had it for 12 years and it still had only done 85000.
Rarely cost me much to get through an MOT, the most was about £300 one year and it started every day and never broke down.
I only sold it because I could not afford to insure, MOT and tax it again and could not afford the cost of a garage. I would have driven it here to turkey of I could have got away without having to spend thousands on import duty.
A fantastic car.

I had a Citroen Co car donkeys years back.
It was fine.
However, as most new car purchases (in the UK) are for Co use (fleet, rentals etc) they rarely get a look in.
As a consequence, they don't sell as many, so don't enjoy the economies of scale, so have to be made 'cheaper' due to this and..I'm afraid... not always totally reliable.
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Hugh Jardon wrote:
In A Flap wrote:

A fantastic car.

I had a Citroen Co car donkeys years back.
It was fine.
However, as most new car purchases (in the UK) are for Co use (fleet, rentals etc) they rarely get a look in.
As a consequence, they don't sell as many, so don't enjoy the economies of scale, so have to be made 'cheaper' due to this and..I'm afraid... not always totally reliable.

I also had a BX for a while. the hydrolic cylinders needed replacing and it gave a rather spectacular ride to say the least. Very nippy car though.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Olympics' green credentials questioned over fleet of BMWs for dignitaries and officials Empty Olmpic song for London?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

traveller123 wrote:

Christ on a bike.....
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh Jardon Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am

In A Flap wrote:

I also had a BX for a while. the hydrolic cylinders needed replacing and it gave a rather spectacular ride to say the least. Very nippy car though.

yeh.... think mine was a BX turbo estate- didn't have it that long- to be honest.
A mate of mine had a boody AX...a loathsome car in each and every sense.... you'd feel safer driving down the M6 in a go kart with a crisp packet for protection.
Hugh Jardon
Hugh Jardon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Personally, I think in regards to the Olympics, being "green" should not really be high on the agenda.

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 am

Striped Stockings wrote:Personally, I think in regards to the Olympics, being "green" should not really be high on the agenda.

personally I think the olympics was a massive waste of money
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next