IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'

+5
Broken Arrow
Bert Assirati
BigAndy9
Abdul Abulbul Amir
gerber
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'  - Page 3 Empty 'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 am

First topic message reminder :

[*]PM plans to double number of Chinese language assistants in UK by 2016
[*]Will increase funding to schools for providing Mandarin training
[*]The aim is to double number of Chinese learners in Britain to 400,000

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518549/Pupils-ditch-French-German-study-Mandarin-instead-David-Cameron-wants-education-ties-China-dramatically-strengthened.html#ixzz2mahnBymu 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just very grateful he hasn't done a kiss the Husky again, otherwise this would read learn Inuit.

DC has lost it this time.
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'  - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'

Post  Broken Arrow Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm

gerber wrote:You sound surprised.

Isn't it the dodgey duo take three  lol!
Instead of focusing on the fact someone dared to disagree with you, why not debate the point- you posted the story- I'm assuming you wanted to discuss it?
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'  - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Pupils should ditch French and German and study Mandarin instead': David Cameron wants education ties with China 'dramatically strengthened'

Post  Shady Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Puriel wrote:Do they and you base this view on what exactly?

Well done if you do yourself.

So what do you excel in?
Cockney, Manc, Brummie?
Well actually as a pastime I do study UK regional accents,slang & their origins.

What languages do I excel in?.....Arabic & Urdu to begin with followed by other middle eastern languages & Russian.
Shady
Shady

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Shady wrote:Well actually as a pastime I do study UK regional accents,slang & their origins.

What languages do I excel in?.....Arabic & Urdu to begin with followed by other middle eastern languages & Russian.
I am impressed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shady Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Puriel wrote:I am impressed.

Good,you should be.
Shady
Shady

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Eilzel wrote:Instead of focusing on the fact someone dared to disagree with you, why not debate the point- you posted the story- I'm assuming you wanted to discuss it?
In the wrong section according to you, did bestest point that out to you.

Why are you singling me out once again..............  Most on here are disagreeing.  Bolstered by your support....
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Arrow Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

gerber wrote:In the wrong section according to you, did bestest point that out to you.

Why are you singling me out once again..............  Most on here are disagreeing.  Bolstered by your support....
I'm not singling you out- you made the thread then don't debate it when people disagree- what was the point then?

You made a thread about a subject I'm interested in gerber- sorry for being interested.
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  mattiducatti Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Most countries learn English as their 2nd language, not just to communicate with us but as a common language to communicate with each other too!

We can't learn every other language in return.

Although most people here do have at least a basic knowledge of one or two other languages, and when we travel elsewhere we mostly try to learn and use some of the foreign lingo.

Plus we have enough imported foreign language speaking people here already!

mattiducatti
mattiducatti

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:27 pm

gerber wrote:[*]PM plans to double number of Chinese language assistants in UK by 2016
[*]Will increase funding to schools for providing Mandarin training
[*]The aim is to double number of Chinese learners in Britain to 400,000

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518549/Pupils-ditch-French-German-study-Mandarin-instead-David-Cameron-wants-education-ties-China-dramatically-strengthened.html#ixzz2mahnBymu 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just very grateful he hasn't done a kiss the Husky again, otherwise this would read learn Inuit.

DC has lost it this time.
[*]considering chinas growth in the world learning chinese is not a bad career choice.
It is probably far more use in the business world than french or german.

the 21st century may well be the century of the chinese. I wouldn't be surprised if they give the totalitarian state the boot in the next couple of decades and fully embrace capitalism. As china becomes more developed its people are going to want more freedoms we take for granted.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

https://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:As somebody has pointed out, English is the language of business.

How about we promote Britain, teach British children English and show the world that they need Britain!

Stop dribbling over other countries, stop begging foreigners to come here while paying them to do so.
it may be now, but business does not stand still. If the major players are all chinese then that will change.

Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Flap Gallagher wrote:[*]considering chinas growth in the world learning chinese is not a bad career choice.

the 21st century may well be the century of the chinese. I wouldn't be surprised if they give the totalitarian state the boot in the next couple of decades and fully embrace capitalism. As china becomes more developed its people are going to want more freedoms we take for granted.
[*]

Dean

They -  all who want to succeed in life in China learn English, rote and rote and rote...........  They have better grammatical comments than we do......
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Tess wrote:
Puriel wrote:That is the thing though many Brits are completely ignorant of speaking another language, holding some antiquated belief everyone should speak English. Makes them come across as ever so ignorant to be honest when you see them abroad expecting others to speak English back to them, not all but many. Most countries will at the moment pander to this, but I see in the future that this may not be the case and people will need to learn other languages if this country is ever to expand its economy.
Hardly an antiquated belief - it IS the most spoken language in the world - except for Mandarin, but that's ony because there are so many Chinese in China that speak it.  If you take the native Chinese and English out of the equation, English is definitely spoken more than any other language.
not really, it is spoken in a lot of countries in the far east as a second language.

english certainly is a major player in the language stakes, but you cannot take for granted that it will alway be like that. Remember latin was spoken all over the known world at one time. Languages develope and change as do the reasons for speaking them.

If any kid of mine had to learn a second language at school these days I would want chinese to be top of the list
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Shady wrote:
Puriel wrote:It is spoken the most of that I agree, hence my point on many Brits holding some antiquated and arrogant belief everyone should speak English in their company. It is very lazy to be honest and rude.
Wow Puriel,interesting thoughts you have regarding the English language.

Do you think that English language in the UK should be made the second language of all UK citizens?
thats a pretty silly idea, but if you have to learn a language at school then learn chinese as it is a massive market place and will only get bigger.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Shady wrote:
Puriel wrote:
It is your choice to believe I am wrong.
I do believe that all should and I believe many do, not all of them.
So lets reverse this question, we know countless Brits work abroad, do you think many even speak a second language?
Yes,many of them do speak a foreign language.I speak several.
you will be the exception, rather than the rule though.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

mattiducatti wrote:

Most countries learn English as their 2nd language, not just to communicate with us but as a common language to communicate with each other too!

We can't learn every other language in return.

Although most people here do have at least a basic knowledge of one or two other languages, and when we travel elsewhere we mostly try to learn and use some of the foreign lingo.

Plus we have enough imported foreign language speaking people here already!

you are right that many see english as a good second language to learn, but it cannot be guaranteed that that will always be the case.
the chinese are deeply embedded in just about every part of the world now.
It makes sense for our kids to get ahead of the game by learning chinese. I cannot see why people are so resistant to the idea. they are supposed to learn a language at school, why not make it one that may well make a difference in their careers.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Flap Zappa Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:43 pm

gerber wrote:
Flap Gallagher wrote:[*]considering chinas growth in the world learning chinese is not a bad career choice.

[*]

Dean

They -  all who want to succeed in life in China learn English, rote and rote and rote...........  They have better grammatical comments than we do......
[*]that may well en the case, I cannot understand your resistance to learning a relevant foreign language that may get your kids on in their future careers.

No one is demanding you learn it. But kids have to learn a language at school then learn one that can make them a bob or two. Not order a meal in provence.
Flap Zappa
Flap Zappa

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Flap Gallagher wrote:you are right that many see english as a good second language to learn, but it cannot be guaranteed that that will always be the case.
It makes sense for our kids to get ahead of the game by learning chinese. I cannot see why people are so resistant to the idea. they  are supposed to learn a language at school, why not make it one that may well make a difference in their careers.
Dean

I posted this in the section because I was riled by DC, and have been since he became PM.  Thought it was idiotic

The discussions on here today have bee enlightening not least yours.  I put my hand up, shake yours  -  have been persuaded 

Hats off and eaten.
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:49 pm

"But kids have to learn a language at school then learn one that can make them a bob or two. Not order a meal in provence."

This is wrong, 97% of adults never use a foreign language, so what a waste of time at school.  Why not teach our children to speak English correctly?

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm

It is always beneficial to learn another language, on that I do agree.

Not only that, but it is fun too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Let the kids that want to go ahead and learn a new language, but don't force everyone to.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I remember having to learn Russian at school, I could never get the hang of that language.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Costa wrote:I remember having to learn Russian at school, I could never get the hang of that language.
I used to see this beautiful Russian gymnast when I worked in IT for a East European haulage company.  We went to the gym together and I'll never forget seeing the splits done correctly...he was a strange bloke.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Sister Mary wrote:"But kids have to learn a language at school then learn one that can make them a bob or two. Not order a meal in provence."

This is wrong, 97% of adults never use a foreign language, so what a waste of time at school.  Why not teach our children to speak English correctly?
WHOA BOY............................. I love Provence and eatout there alot and can order in Francais ................ 

Aligot sur pain- Crocodile butty 

Thermidor - hot flannels when cold delivered by a Spanish waiter

Croissant - Heart shaped Keith oven bottoms

Frites grande - Large German au pair

Souffle Au Chocolate avec  creme Anglais........  As opposed to Chocolate pudd with custard, which would you order and which would cost more ?
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Hot flannels on your butty?

Mind you don't get pimples.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  gerber Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Isn't that what a Nun wears on his or her head ?
gerber
gerber

Back to top Go down

Post  mattiducatti Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 am

Flap Gallagher wrote:you are right that many see english as a good second language to learn, but it cannot be guaranteed that that will always be the case.
It makes sense for our kids to get ahead of the game by learning chinese. I cannot see why people are so resistant to the idea. they  are supposed to learn a language at school, why not make it one that may well make a difference in their careers.
Good 2nd language because internationally it is increasingly seen as and used by people as the most popular/common/widely used/global/international language.

Even the Chinese recognise the learning of English language as being important and do so avidly.

It would be far better for our own children to actually learn better English themselves in their core studies, and maybe just the few with international business ambitions being required to learn specific other languages in theirs.
mattiducatti
mattiducatti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3