IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

+7
Bert Assirati
scrappydoo
Broken Arrow
guest...
Abdul Abulbul Amir
mattiducatti
Tess
11 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray Empty Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

The spectacular fossilised skull of an ancient human ancestor that died nearly two million years ago in central Asia has forced scientists to rethink the story of early human evolution. Anthropologists unearthed the skull at a site in Dmanisi, a small town in southern Georgia, where other remains of human ancestors, simple stone tools and long-extinct animals have been dated to 1.8m years old.

Experts believe the skull is one of the most important fossil finds to date, but it has proved as controversial as it is stunning. Analysis of the skull and other remains at Dmanisi suggests that scientists have been too ready to name separate species of human ancestors in Africa. Many of those species may now have to be wiped from the textbooks.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/skull-homo-erectus-human-evolution?CMP=twt_gu
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  mattiducatti Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Interesting!

So we all came from Africans then...?

And 'we're all one race' too?
mattiducatti
mattiducatti

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 pm

mattiducatti wrote:Interesting!

So we all came from Africans then...?

And 'we're all one race' too?
ROFL ROFL 

And where does this 2 million year old descend from?

Africa

Ha Ha

So funny, try reading the article, it may help.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Blow to multiple human species idea.

The idea that there were several different human species walking the Earth two million years ago has been dealt a blow.
Instead, scientists say early human fossils found in Africa and Eurasia may have been part of the same species.
Writing in the journal Science, the team says that Homo habilisHomo rudolfensis and Homo erectus are all part of a single evolving lineage that led to modern humans.
But others in the field reject this.
A team looked at the most complete hominid skull ever found, which was uncovered in Dmanisi, Georgia.
It had a small braincase, large teeth and a long face, characteristics it shares with H. habilis. But many features from the braincase were also "unique" to H. erectus.
The 1.8-million-year old skull comes from a site that has given up the biggest collection of well-preserved early-human remains known anywhere in the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24564375

lol!

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:04 pm

I think what it does show is that, no matter how self-important and ponderous scientists are, and how they "prove facts", all it is is educated assumptions based on the evidence they have to hand at the time. After all it wasn't so long ago in the scheme of things that they believed the Earth was flat. I've always thought the neanderthals got a bad press, they were probably far more intelligent than they've been given credit for.
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Tess wrote:I think what it does show is that, no matter how self-important and ponderous scientists are, and how they "prove facts", all it is is educated assumptions based on the evidence they have to hand at the time.  After all it wasn't so long ago in the scheme of things that they believed the Earth was flat.  I've always thought the neanderthals got a bad press, they were probably far more intelligent than they've been given credit for.
Really, most things are based upon facts and thus hypothesis's are proposed, of which are not facts but ideas.
Actually it was many years ago that the earth was proved that it was not flat and how was that done Tess? I mean for example is anyone going to now try and reverse this and claim it is flat and thus scientists are wrong?

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Didge wrote:Really, most things are based upon facts and thus hypothesis's are proposed, of which are not facts but ideas.
Actually it was many years ago that the earth was proved that it was not flat and how was that done Tess? I mean for example is anyone going to now try and reverse this and claim it is flat and thus scientists are wrong?  
well now, although Greek philosophers and the like may have believed the Earth wasn't flat, it wasn't actually proved until Magellan not that long ago was it? and why do you have to make rude silly replies to everything?

p.s. No such thing as hypothesis's, Professor.
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Tess wrote:well now, although Greek philosophers and the like may have believed the Earth wasn't flat, it wasn't actually proved until Magellan not that long ago was it?  and why do you have to make rude silly replies to everything?

p.s. No such thing as hypothesis's, Professor.

Really so nobody proposes a hypothesis?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL 

That says it all for me Tess with your level of intelligence.

The fact is many claims or hypothesis's are based upon certain facts, the rest being ideas that are not proven

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:21 pm

hypothesis
hʌɪˈpɒθɪsɪs/Submit
noun
a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Arrow Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Tess wrote:I think what it does show is that, no matter how self-important and ponderous scientists are, and how they "prove facts", all it is is educated assumptions based on the evidence they have to hand at the time.  After all it wasn't so long ago in the scheme of things that they believed the Earth was flat.  I've always thought the neanderthals got a bad press, they were probably far more intelligent than they've been given credit for.
It is a very interesting find and eventually I'm sure scientists will explain it's place in Evolution- this certainly doesn't disprove we all evolved from Africa however (amazing how certain racists- and that in no way includes you Tess- get so jumpy at this strong probability).

And I don't think any credible scientist would argue with the fact that much of their theories are based on assumptions, assumptions have to be made but based on evidence, it is then a case of testing and seeing how far everything fits, including new discoveries. 

It wasn't science however that put forward the flat earth idea, it was pure human ignorance in ancient times
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Didge wrote:
Really so nobody proposes a hypothesis?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL 

That says it all for me Tess with your level of intelligence.

The fact is many claims or hypothesis's are based upon certain facts, the rest being ideas that are not proven
My God you're embarassing yourself today. I didn't say there was no such thing as hypothesis you retard, I said there was no such thing as "hypothesis's" - and you even repeat it! Then you've got the utter stupidity to post rofls to show how intelligent you are. Jesus wept.
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Tess wrote:My God you're embarassing yourself today.  I didn't say there was no such thing as hypothesis you retard, I said there was no such thing as "hypothesis's" - and you even repeat it!  Then you've got the utter stupidity to post rofls to show how intelligent you are.  Jesus wept.
So after looking stupid as per usual you decided to go down the old fashion route of being a grammar Nazi then? 
Spelling is not a sign of intelligence dopey!

ROFL ROFL ROFL 

If anyone constantly embarrasses themselves that would be you Tess

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Eilzel wrote:It is a very interesting find and eventually I'm sure scientists will explain it's place in Evolution- this certainly doesn't disprove we all evolved from Africa however (amazing how certain racists- and that in no way includes you Tess- get so jumpy at this strong probability).

And I don't think any credible scientist would argue with the fact that much of their theories are based on assumptions, assumptions have to be made but based on evidence, it is then a case of testing and seeing how far everything fits, including new discoveries. 

It wasn't science however that put forward the flat earth idea, it was pure human ignorance in ancient times
Hi Les. I love all this stuff, and find it fascinating how quickly we're making new discoveries that completely up-end old beliefs. Can't wait till they find human skulls on Mars! Grinning
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Grammar Nazi
Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Didge wrote:So after looking stupid as per usual you decided to go down the old fashion route of being a grammar Nazi then? 
Spelling is not a sign of intelligence dopey!

ROFL ROFL ROFL 

If anyone constantly embarrasses themselves that would be you Tess
Oh sod off Didge you're spoiling a good thread.

Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Tess wrote:Oh sod off Didge you're spoiling a good thread.

Really? You were the one that started on my spelling did you not?
Thus none of some of the posts would have been needed if you had not tried to be a smart arse, true?
Jesus wept, take some of your own advice and move on.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Arrow Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Tess wrote:Hi Les.  I love all this stuff, and find it fascinating how quickly we're making new discoveries that completely up-end old beliefs. Can't wait till they find human skulls on Mars!  Grinning
Well that would be interesting lol!

Was watching one of those loony American documentaries a while back which was putting forward a 'case' that all ancient myths and modern religion some way imply that the Gods (from Zeus and Apollo to Jesus) were actually extraterrestrials. It was well made but imo conspiratorial fairy tales; you mentioning skulls on Mars reminded me of it- I certainly hold a slither of consideration that the so-called 'missing link' in evolution could have come from 'elsewhere' but probably not in all honesty...

Science is always in flux and the best scientists would say as much- the only aspect beyond doubt it that evolution did happen Smile
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Eilzel wrote:Well that would be interesting lol!

Was watching one of those loony American documentaries a while back which was putting forward a 'case' that all ancient myths and modern religion some way imply that the Gods (from Zeus and Apollo to Jesus) were actually extraterrestrials. It was well made but imo conspiratorial fairy tales; you mentioning skulls on Mars reminded me of it- I certainly hold a slither of consideration that the so-called 'missing link' in evolution could have come from 'elsewhere' but probably not in all honesty...

Science is always in flux and the best scientists would say as much- the only aspect beyond doubt it that evolution did happen Smile
Maybe some of the loonies aren't too wrong. I think it's arrogant for us to believe that we're the only civilization to ever have existed, and recent finds seem to point to earlier civilizations on this planet. Now Mars isn't really that far away to a more advanced society and, who knows, maybe a few hundred feet under all the dried surface there are the remains of a previous race of people there, and as climates change and planets die, who's to say some of them didn't manage to fly off to the nearest inhabitable planet - Earth. Would explain the differences in the skulls which all existed at the same time.
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Arrow Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Tess wrote:Maybe some of the loonies aren't too wrong. I think it's arrogant for us to believe that we're the only civilization to ever have existed, and recent finds seem to point to earlier civilizations on this planet.  Now Mars isn't really that far away to a more advanced society and, who knows, maybe a few hundred feet under all the dried surface there are the remains of a previous race of people there, and as climates change and planets die, who's to say some of them didn't manage to fly off to the nearest inhabitable planet - Earth.  Would explain the differences in the skulls which all existed at the same time.
It might, but it is would be incredible for there to be nothing whatsoever on the surface of Mars to suggest an advanced civilization ever existed there- not that I'm saying there wasn't ;-)

I certainly don't believe we are the only civilization in the Universe Tess, that is equally inconceivable imo; and can't wait for us to discover them, or them us Smile
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Eilzel wrote:It might, but it is would be incredible for there to be nothing whatsoever on the surface of Mars to suggest an advanced civilization ever existed there- not that I'm saying there wasn't ;-)

I certainly don't believe we are the only civilization in the Universe Tess, that is equally inconceivable imo; and can't wait for us to discover them, or them us Smile
I think also we have yet to find older civilizations or admit some are older than we have placed dates on to be honest Eilzel, take the Sphinx for example that has been proven by some Geologists is clearly older than perceived by archaeologists, who have no knowledge of geology but blindly stick to the belief it cannot be older because no civilization existed at the time, which is a poor view, when there could easily have been one, yet little remains except the Sphinx.

As to an advanced alien society contacting us, in my ow view I doubt they would until we all start to evolve way higher from the level we are at now

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Arrow Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Didge wrote:I think also we have yet to find older civilizations or admit some are older than we have placed dates on to be honest Eilzel, take the Sphinx for example that has been proven by some Geologists is clearly older than perceived by archaeologists, who have no knowledge of geology but blindly stick to the belief it cannot be older because no civilization existed at the time, which is a poor view, when there could easily have been one, yet little remains except the Sphinx.

As to an advanced alien society contacting us, in my ow view I doubt they would until we all start to evolve way higher from the level we are at now
Haha, not sure about that didge, if they came looking for resources then Earth would be ripe or the picking- doubt they'd care about the state of the life they found- very much comparable to when we landed in places like America and Australia.

Agree on the Sphinx though, and the Great Pyramid of Khufu- no hieroglyphs in there, or body ever found, and considering it is one of the oldest, later pyramids never matched its perfection- a mystery indeed right alongside the Sphinx!
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Eilzel wrote:Haha, not sure about that didge, if they came looking for resources then Earth would be ripe or the picking- doubt they'd care about the state of the life they found- very much comparable to when we landed in places like America and Australia.

Agree on the Sphinx though, and the Great Pyramid of Khufu- no hieroglyphs in there, or body ever found, and considering it is one of the oldest, later pyramids never matched its perfection- a mystery indeed right alongside the Sphinx!

Very true Eilzel, they may even come to wipe us out and come to take the planets resources.

guest...

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Didge wrote:
Very true Eilzel, they may even come to wipe us out and come to take the planets resources.
I'd say, or hope, that if they were advanced enough to visit us, they'd be more civilized than that. Could be they're keeping an eye on things at the moment - if they are they must be shaking their heads in despair!
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next