IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

+7
Bert Assirati
scrappydoo
Broken Arrow
guest...
Abdul Abulbul Amir
mattiducatti
Tess
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Empty Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

The spectacular fossilised skull of an ancient human ancestor that died nearly two million years ago in central Asia has forced scientists to rethink the story of early human evolution. Anthropologists unearthed the skull at a site in Dmanisi, a small town in southern Georgia, where other remains of human ancestors, simple stone tools and long-extinct animals have been dated to 1.8m years old.

Experts believe the skull is one of the most important fossil finds to date, but it has proved as controversial as it is stunning. Analysis of the skull and other remains at Dmanisi suggests that scientists have been too ready to name separate species of human ancestors in Africa. Many of those species may now have to be wiped from the textbooks.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/skull-homo-erectus-human-evolution?CMP=twt_gu
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Bert Assirati Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Didge wrote:
Cheer Stardesk, hope you are well buddy!

I miss timeteam, I have to say, oh and read today that the common ancestor for neanderthal and humans is much nearer in the past than is thought about a million years ago so will have to find the link for you, not tonight but will post tomorrow mate.
Time Team...FFS  whenever I switch channels that yob Robinson and his hooligans are somewhere in the UK damaging the countryside; he has an obsession with digging holes wherever goes.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I love this land with all its faults and limitations, although that's really the people, with a passion I can't describe, Wales in particular, I love the ground I walk on for being Wales but Britain in general as well, it does seem something that people with Celtic blood seem to feel particularly deeply or perhaps display it more, I'm sure the English are just as passionate.
We have castles all around us Cardiff and Caerphilly being the biggest but many local lords built keeps and fortified manor houses all over the area, its castle heaven, though most are ruins the prettiest I suppose is Castell Coch near Cardiff built for Lord Bute in the 1880's on the site of a ruined kee, its a fairy tale type castle with round towers and quite colourful inside, I think its a cross between a folly and a hunting lodge.

Bouddica I am very interested in, what a shame she decided on a stand up fight with the Romans, if only she and her leaders had arranged an ambush she may just have been victorious and I often wonder what Britain would have been like then.
I'm proud that I'm from an area that withstood the Romans for something like 30 years, Caractacus came to south wales after the Catuvellani were defeated and fought with the local tribes the Silures, he moved on to the Ordovices but was defeated and captured in Ad 51 when he sought sanctuary with Cartamandua, the Silures fought the Romans at every turn,Scapula said they should be transplanted or exterminated and for an answer they attacked a large contingent of legionarries fort building they only escaped when help was sent but with difficulty and many losses, the Silures also managed to defeat a legion in a stand up fight, many died and many take prisoner and passed around neighbouring tribes as slaves, brutal I know by our standards but wha do you do when your land is under attack, eventually they came to terms in about AD78.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Time Team...FFS  whenever I switch channels that yob Robinson and his hooligans are somewhere in the UK damaging the countryside; he has an obsession with digging holes wherever goes.  We could save a fortune on shale gas discovery just by following this twat around.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  stardesk Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Didge, I'm well thanks as long as I keep taking the tablets, lol!. I hope you are well too.
Thanks also for the science link, I've just read it and also added it to my 'favourites' so I can read their other articles. I did say earlier in this, or another, discussion that Neanderthals were not the brutes as was suggested, and the article says much the same. The tale of Bouddica ends sadly doesn't it, her two daughters were raped by Roman legionnaires and she became just a common woman, treated with contempt by the Romans.
stardesk
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:20 am

Flix wrote:I love this land with all its faults and limitations, although that's really the people, with a passion I can't describe, Wales in particular, I love the ground I walk on for being Wales but Britain in general as well, it does seem something that people with Celtic blood seem to feel particularly deeply or perhaps display it more, I'm sure the English are just as passionate.
We have castles all around us Cardiff and Caerphilly being the biggest but many local lords built keeps and fortified manor houses all over the area, its castle heaven, though most are ruins the prettiest I suppose is Castell Coch near Cardiff built for Lord Bute in the 1880's on the site of a ruined kee, its a fairy tale type castle with round towers and quite colourful inside, I think its a cross between a folly and a hunting lodge.

Bouddica I am very interested in, what a shame she decided on a stand up fight with the Romans, if only she and her leaders had arranged an ambush she may just have been victorious and I often wonder what Britain would have been like then.
I'm proud that I'm from an area that withstood the Romans for something like 30 years, Caractacus came to south wales after the Catuvellani were defeated and fought with the local tribes the Silures, he moved on to the Ordovices but was defeated and captured in Ad 51 when he sought sanctuary with Cartamandua, the Silures fought the Romans at every turn,Scapula said they should be transplanted or exterminated and for an answer they attacked a large contingent of legionarries fort building they only escaped when help was sent but with difficulty and many losses, the Silures also managed to defeat a legion in a stand up fight, many died and many take prisoner and passed around neighbouring tribes as slaves, brutal I know by our standards but wha do you do when your land is under attack, eventually they came to terms in about AD78.
Thanks again for sharing Flix, is interesting here the local knowledge of areas, which you don't read about in the main history books, have read quite a bit about Caractacus as well. The Britons were no match in an open battle with the Roman Legions who had far better training and Armour. The Brits best tactics were hit and run, using chariots with their best warriors as this did catch the Romans by surprise. Even your example shows that at this time Romans rarely lost in open battle but by suprise and when they were ill prepared. Julius Caesar had a rough time trying to beat the Britons both times he invaded because they used such tactics but the Brits realised they could not beat him in pitched battles and this was the man who was one of the best tacticians in history.  

Hi Stardesk

You are welcome, it is a very interesting site to be honest so hope you enjoy.
I heard news a while back this year about a possible resting place for Bouddica, but have not heard anything since, if anyone has heard anything, please share, as that would be some historical find I must say

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

Bugger the history Didge, you need to brush up on grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 am

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:Bugger the history Didge, you need to brush up on grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I could care less about that, it has little use or need in my life, I am not being marked on that and neither does my job depend on it, so it has little use for me.
If it bothers you then you have to live with that I am afraid

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tess Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 am

Didge wrote:Thanks again for sharing Flix, is interesting here the local knowledge of areas, which you don't read about in the main history books, have read quite a bit about Caractacus as well. The Britons were no match in an open battle with the Roman Legions who had far better training and Armour. The Brits best tactics were hit and run, using chariots with their best warriors as this did catch the Romans by surprise. Even your example shows that at this time Romans rarely lost in open battle but by suprise and when they were ill prepared. Julius Caesar had a rough time trying to beat the Britons both times he invaded because they used such tactics but the Brits realised they could not beat him in pitched battles and this was the man who was one of the best tacticians in history.  

Hi Stardesk

You are welcome, it is a very interesting site to be honest so hope you enjoy.
I heard news a while back this year about a possible resting place for Bouddica, but have not heard anything since, if anyone has heard anything, please share, as that would be some historical find I must say
This?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/archaeologists-believe-boudicca-who-battled-2331651
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks, that is the one Tess, though nothing seems to have been said since, though these things take time before they are sure I guess

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Can't wait for this, what a discovery that would be, being a bit mean I hope they don't tag her as the English queen Bouddica, as I see that sort of thing a lot in National Geographic programmes about Britain prior to part of it becoming England and thr real bugging part is it uually has a Brit as narrator.

I think its me with the spelling and grammar, my pc pings and I've typed in a sentence that doesn't show up and have to go back, its either missing whole words or letters very frustrating and then I'll find my signal gone, so apologies Ulrich.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Flix wrote:Can't wait for this, what a discovery that would be, being a bit mean I hope they don't tag her as the English queen Bouddica, as I see that sort of thing a lot in National Geographic programmes about Britain prior to part of it becoming England and thr real bugging part is it uually has a Brit as narrator.

I think its me with the spelling and grammar, my pc pings and I've typed in a sentence that doesn't show up and have to go back, its either missing whole words or letters very frustrating and then I'll find my signal gone, so apologies Ulrich.
I agree on the English part, as no such notion was known at the time, we refer to them today as Britons for the time, in fact at this time we know them as Brythonic tribes or Brython people and like with Bouddica, they were from the Iceni tribe.....

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Didge wrote: "I could care less about that, it has little use or need in my life, I am not being marked on that and neither does my job depend on it, so it has little use for me.
If it bothers you then you have to live with that I am afraid"

If my opinions on race, sexuality or religion else bother you then you have to live with it.  Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Big-Thumbsup1

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:Didge wrote: "I could care less about that, it has little use or need in my life, I am not being marked on that and neither does my job depend on it, so it has little use for me.
If it bothers you then you have to live with that I am afraid"

If my opinions on race, sexuality or religion else bother you then you have to live with it.  Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Big-Thumbsup1
My Grammar skills have no affect on a group of people, only you and some others, where as hate towards groups of people do have affects. Your opinions are okay, what would not be okay if you were offensive towards grouops of people I would defend against this and will always do so, thus another thing you will have to get used to .

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Didge wrote:My Grammar skills have no affect on a group of people, only you and some others, where as hate towards groups of people do have affects. Your opinions are okay, what would not be okay if you were offensive towards grouops of people I would defend against this and will always do so, thus another thing you will have to get used to .
NO!

NON

BOLLOCKS

Because my opinions are not hateful, and there's nothing you can say or do about it.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:NO!

NON

BOLLOCKS

Because my opinions are not hateful, and there's nothing you can say or do about it.

There is, I can challenge them.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Didge wrote:
There is, I can challenge them.
Challenge all you like, you can't do diddly squat. ROFL

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:Challenge all you like, you can't do diddly squat. ROFL

I already have!

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 pm

No, that was empty ramblings from a boring old git.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:No, that was empty ramblings from a boring old git.
Which clearly had the perfect effect!

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Time for dinner, tattyboogle.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:Time for dinner, tattyboogle.
Enjoy

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  stardesk Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 am

Wow  and he who throws the heaviest stone usually cries when hit back, and goes screaming to mummy.

Ulrich, why do you constantly try to bait people, instead of taking part in the discussions? It would be interesting to know what you think and believe about various subjects. Come on, give it a try.
stardesk
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm

keith never used to be like this,i used to love his jokes and his cartoons were brillient.  what happened mate?
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:14 pm

nicko wrote:keith never used to be like this,i used to love his jokes and his cartoons were brillient.  what happened mate?
I'm still here, just Didge pushes everyone around on here in pseudo-intellectual bullying; enough is enough.

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  stardesk Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Didge & Flix, after our natter about Bouddica, I sat thinking I'm sure I've a book on her. After a rummage this morning I found it, you may like to try and get a copy. Published in 2005. ISBN 0 75093400 X

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Img09810

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 4 Img10010
stardesk
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next