IN A FLAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

+7
Bert Assirati
scrappydoo
Broken Arrow
guest...
Abdul Abulbul Amir
mattiducatti
Tess
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 3 Empty Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Tess Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

The spectacular fossilised skull of an ancient human ancestor that died nearly two million years ago in central Asia has forced scientists to rethink the story of early human evolution. Anthropologists unearthed the skull at a site in Dmanisi, a small town in southern Georgia, where other remains of human ancestors, simple stone tools and long-extinct animals have been dated to 1.8m years old.

Experts believe the skull is one of the most important fossil finds to date, but it has proved as controversial as it is stunning. Analysis of the skull and other remains at Dmanisi suggests that scientists have been too ready to name separate species of human ancestors in Africa. Many of those species may now have to be wiped from the textbooks.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/skull-homo-erectus-human-evolution?CMP=twt_gu
Tess
Tess

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 3 Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  guest... Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:50 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote: Didge is practicing by drinking like a Fish.ROFL

Lets see if allakaka can figure out why that makes little sense

guest...

Back to top Go down

Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray - Page 3 Empty Re: Skull of Homo erectus throws story of human evolution into disarray

Post  Flix Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Judging by the last few days around here, normal service has been resumed with regards to our weather, so its Waterworld here we come.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Flix wrote:Judging by the last few days around here, normal service has been resumed with regards to our weather, so its Waterworld here we come.

It is not to bad down in the SE, but then you do have high levels of rain where you are flix do you not due to the geography?

guest...

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post  Flix Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Didge wrote:
It is not to bad down in the SE, but then you do have high levels of rain where you are flix do you not due to the geography?

Yes, it can dry and even quite sunny on the coast but come inlands about ten miles and the hills rise up quite abruptly and of course any moisture bearing clouds are drawn in to the hills and down comes the rain. There is a saying around here and many other places where it rains a lot I'm sure - If you can see the mountain its about to rain if you can;t see the mountain its raining. Its true just before it rains the mountain is in stark contrast against the sky and you can see all the dips and bumps on it when it rains its either indistinct due to the lashing rain or with the more gentle stuff its covered in light mist.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Flix wrote:

Yes, it can dry and even quite sunny on the coast but come inlands about ten miles and the hills rise up quite abruptly and of course any moisture bearing clouds are drawn in to the hills and down comes the rain. There is a saying around here and many other places where it rains a lot I'm sure - If you can see the mountain its about to rain if you can;t see the mountain its raining. Its true just before it rains the mountain is in stark contrast against the sky and you can see all the dips and bumps on it when it rains its either indistinct due to the lashing rain or with the more gentle stuff its covered in light mist.

Thank you for actually reading a normal post, makes a change and very interesting to know Flix

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Hasn't Graham Norton been searching for a Homo Erectus?

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Ulrich von Liechtenstein wrote:Hasn't Graham Norton been searching for a Homo Erectus?

he has no need to, he lets you out of the box to play twice a day!

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert Assirati Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Didge wrote:
he has no need to, he lets you out of the box to play twice a day!
WTF?

Bert Assirati

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't been much to the S.E. I went for a holiday to Margate once and visited Cantebury I really wanted to see the cathedral, I've also stayed near Hastings so of course went to Battle Abbey & Pevensey Bay, strangely its one of a few places where I really felt at home, apart from home that is and I stayed in Hampshire, here and there, loved Winchester and the cathedral and of course Portsmouth and HMS Victory and spent most of my spare time in London visiting Museums and tourist places, soaking up the history, my favourite place was the Tower of London, I tend to think these have places have soaked up all the energy of all the happenings throughout their times.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Flix wrote:I haven't been much to the S.E. I went for a holiday to Margate once and visited Cantebury I really wanted to see the cathedral, I've also stayed near Hastings so of course went to Battle Abbey & Pevensey Bay, strangely its one of a few places where I really felt at home, apart from home that is and I stayed in Hampshire, here and there, loved Winchester and the cathedral and of course Portsmouth and HMS Victory and spent most of my spare time in London visiting Museums and tourist places, soaking up the history, my favourite place was the Tower of London, I tend to think these have places have soaked up all the energy of all the happenings throughout their times.

Did you manage to visit Canterbury Tales Flix whilst you were there?
Canterbury is very close to where I live now and I really like Hastings, lovely place and am close to Leeds Castle (I know odd name for a castle no where near Leeds) which is quite beautiful.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Didge wrote:
Did you manage to visit Canterbury Tales Flix whilst you were there?
Canterbury is very close to where I live now and I really like Hastings, lovely place and am close to Leeds Castle (I know odd name for a castle no where near Leeds) which is quite beautiful.

No, I didn't go to visit Cantebury tales. You've just reminded me of a place we visited and I can't remember the name of it, it was either a castle which was redeveloped in the Napoleonic era and used again in the second world war, its in the Pevensey/Hastings area, as you approach it up on a hill but near the coast and has a military museum and an enclosed ramp running from inside the walls down to the beach and has for want of a better word arrow slits at the bottom end although I think the entrance/exit was walled up during the during ww2 and the firing positions added to defend the beach, fasinating place, I've looked on line and can't locate it, not much to go I know. Its a lovely area and I haven't been to Leeds Castle - yet.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Flix wrote:

No, I didn't go to visit Cantebury tales. You've just reminded me of a place we visited and I can't remember the name of it, it was either a castle which was redeveloped in the Napoleonic era and used again in the second world war, its in the Pevensey/Hastings area, as you approach it up on a hill but near the coast and has a military museum and an enclosed ramp running from inside the walls down to the beach and has for want of a better word arrow slits at the bottom end although I think the entrance/exit was walled up during the  during ww2 and the firing positions added to defend the beach, fasinating place, I've looked on line and can't locate it, not much to go  I know. Its a lovely area and I haven't been to Leeds Castle - yet.

Bugger you have me thinking now and will have to look the place up, as have been there years ago.
Canterbury Tales is cool, does not half stink but that is half the affect to take you back in time and is really very interesting I must say.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 pm

You mean this Flix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pevensey_Castle

Or was it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastbourne_Redoubt

Now I am confused????

I think I have been to both but when I was a kid, so am at a total loss

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:18 pm

It wasn't Pevensey, the car park and entrance are similar but the entrance to the tunnel was opposite the main castle entrance and it went all the way down to the beach, and curved to the right and quite a distance, so I'm thinking its on a cliff, it had a small military museum mostly WW2 I think to the right of the main entrance and a tea room and a model soldier without a head that you could stand behind and have your photo taken in a tin hat, very British sort of thing, it probably has a visitor centre now and is a bit more swish I prefer the more relaxed tours. I don't think its Dover because I don't remember it being so large and that talks about tunnels, plural and they are tiled by the look of the site. I'll either remember where it was sometime over Christmas something will jog my memory or I just might find it on here.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Flix wrote:It wasn't Pevensey, the car park and entrance are similar but the entrance to the tunnel was opposite the main castle entrance and it went all the way down to the beach, and curved to the right and quite a distance, so I'm thinking its on a cliff, it had a small military museum mostly WW2 I think to the right of the main entrance and a tea room and a model soldier without a head that you could stand behind and have your photo taken in a tin hat, very British sort of thing, it probably has a visitor centre now and is a bit more swish I prefer the more relaxed tours. I don't think its Dover because I don't remember it being so large and that talks about tunnels, plural and they are tiled by the look of the site. I'll either remember where it was sometime over Christmas something will jog my memory or I just might find it on here.

Will have to have a think again on this and you really have me stumped to be honest and I have visited a view sites around this country and this is my neck of the woods.
Very interesting, you have some great Castles though in Wales do you not?
I am interested in the early history of Anglesey, seems a very interesting place, only have read about this being the last stand of the druids etc against the Romans, do you have anything more on this? .

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Wales

This is a list of castles in Wales, quite a lot for a small country, the locals didn't take kindly to Normans setting up home here, some were already here built by local lords of course, there's one quite close to where I live, well there's few actually, seems to be one around every corner - ruins now, the story of this one goes like this, the local Welsh lord Morgan Gam found a Norman, one of Robert Fitz Hamon's men (he built Cardiff castle on the site of a Roman fort) Sir Payn de Tuberville sniffing around his lands, Sir Robert had given some of his men lands but others like Sir Payn had to get their own, anyway Morgan offered Sir Payn a fight or a wedding, Sir Payn took the wedding, to Morgan's daughter Sybil and then with her, the Lordship of Coity where he built a castle I believe it was inhabited until the 17th Century. Apparently he was known as 'the Demon' - doesn't sound like a very nice man.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 pm

As for Angelsey and the Druids, I'll have to look that up myself I only really have what I learned in school and a bit of reading since but there is this http://www.wisdomofrhiannon.co.uk/Anglesey.html

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  Flix Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I think what I was looking for is Newhaven Fort, but it looks a bit different on the site I have found and doesn't show the car park and entrance. Yes I can confirm its a fort not a castle I was looking for better site in http://www.subterraneanhistory.co.uk/2007/08/newhaven-fort-east-sussex.html. Fabulous place, loved every minute left on your own to explore looks like a very different set up now, remember the guns etc now.

Flix

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Flix wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Wales

This is a list of castles in Wales, quite a lot for a small country, the locals didn't take kindly to Normans setting up home here, some were already here built by local lords of course, there's one quite close to where I live, well there's few actually, seems to be one around every corner - ruins now, the story of this one goes like this, the local Welsh lord Morgan Gam found a Norman, one of Robert Fitz Hamon's men (he built Cardiff castle on the site of a Roman fort) Sir Payn de Tuberville sniffing around his lands, Sir Robert had given some of his men lands but others like Sir Payn had to get their own, anyway Morgan offered Sir Payn a fight or a wedding, Sir Payn took the wedding, to Morgan's daughter Sybil and then with her, the Lordship of Coity where he built a castle I believe it was inhabited until the 17th Century. Apparently he was known as 'the Demon' - doesn't sound like a very nice man.

Thanks Flix, really appreciate that as is something I would like to see more of and know about Welsh history, as I said before it is not one of my areas of expertise to be honest and is something I really would like to know more about, so thanks for that.
Does any of these places hold any special meaning for yourself? One thing I have found from some of my welsh friends is how very proud they are of their heritage, I have this with my Irish heritage and have seen this also with Scottish friends, yet never seen the same passion with my English mates. I mean no disrespect there to those from England just from the Celtic nations of the Isles there always seems to be so much passion passed on about where we all come from, and thus am interested does the same hold true for you?

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Flix wrote:As for Angelsey and the Druids, I'll have to look that up myself I only really have what I learned in school and a bit of reading since but there is this http://www.wisdomofrhiannon.co.uk/Anglesey.html

Its something that interests me more to do with Queen Boudicca, as I know the Romans at the time were off fighting in Anglesey and understand it was one of the last Celtic strongholds in the west, and again thanks, will read with interest.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  stardesk Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi Didge and Flix.
It was while the Romans were away in the Western counties that Bouddica attacked Colchester and moved on down as far as London, which they sacked, then turned back to St.Albans, but for some reason they didn't torch it and turned back home. It was then that the Romans, being warned of the Iceni revolt, came galloping back and, as you know, conquered the Iceni. There are many Barrows, (burial mounds) in my area and there is one in particular that always draws my attention, and I believe and feel that's where she's buried. Not so long ago Tony Robinson and his 'Time Team' did a programme on Bouddica and the Iceni but never were able to find her burial site.
stardesk
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:01 pm

stardesk wrote:Hi Didge and Flix.
It was while the Romans were away in the Western counties that Bouddica attacked Colchester and moved on down as far as London, which they sacked, then turned back to St.Albans, but for some reason they didn't torch it and turned back home. It was then that the Romans, being warned of the Iceni revolt, came galloping back and, as you know, conquered the Iceni. There are many Barrows, (burial mounds) in my area and there is one in particular that always draws my attention, and I believe and feel that's where she's buried. Not so long ago Tony Robinson and his 'Time Team' did a programme on Bouddica and the Iceni but never were able to find her burial site.

Cheer Stardesk, hope you are well buddy!

I miss timeteam, I have to say, oh and read today that the common ancestor for neanderthal and humans is much nearer in the past than is thought about a million years ago so will have to find the link for you, not tonight but will post tomorrow mate.

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  guest... Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm

guest...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next